Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tom time

I've just been down to the big greenhouse and picked about 30 tomatoes.
What a joy to be able to do this and the smell of a ripe tomato is
fabulous.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 19:29:38 +0100, sacha wrote:

I've just been down to the big greenhouse and picked about 30 tomatoes.
What a joy to be able to do this and the smell of a ripe tomato is
fabulous.

I've eaten the first two of my Sunrises growing outdoors in a grobag(tm).
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-08 20:45:35 +0100, Derek Turner said:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 19:29:38 +0100, sacha wrote:

I've just been down to the big greenhouse and picked about 30 tomatoes.
What a joy to be able to do this and the smell of a ripe tomato is
fabulous.

I've eaten the first two of my Sunrises growing outdoors in a grobag(tm).

Ours are Jersey Sunrise, too but grown indoors, so we're cheating!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote

I've just been down to the big greenhouse and picked about 30 tomatoes.
What a joy to be able to do this and the smell of a ripe tomato is
fabulous.

We picked the first from our hanging basket "Tumblers" over a week ago, and
now, quite quickly, have built up a worrying stock of them in the fridge.

I now understand why they are called tumblers because one nearly did onto
the ground when it broke it's stem. Luckily I saw it whilst it still had a
small bit of bark/skin attached and staked it so it couldn't fall and break
completely. Having cut off all the large leaves to reduce transpiration it's
now ripening it's little tomatoes quickly.

The ones out on the allotment are also beginning to produce ripe toms.
Lesotto, a blight resistant bush tomato which produces small fruit, has also
started to produce ripe fruit in the last week but they have soft skins and
split very easily. The larger fruited ones, Ferline, Fantasio and Black
Russian have fruit that is certainly beginning to change colour but will
take probably another week to start yielding ripe fruit.

I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the neighbours than
I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2013 22:58, Bob Hobden wrote:
"sacha" wrote

[...]

Have you ever frozen them?
I used to just drop them into a chest freezer, then use them later
instead of tinned tomatoes.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Have you ever frozen them?
I used to just drop them into a chest freezer, then use them later instead
of tinned tomatoes.

I cut them in half - then initially freeze individually in egg boxes. Then
bag and sore in the chest freezer
until there are enough for a souping session- which also ends up in the
freezer in flora tubs.

Pete

Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote: ((SNIP))
I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the neighbours
than I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)

Have you ever frozen them?
I used to just drop them into a chest freezer, then use them later instead
of tinned tomatoes.

Not whole no. We usually make them into Pasatta and freeze in bags that can
then be used to make soup or in various, mainly pasta, dishes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/08/2013 07:51, Bob Hobden wrote:

Not whole no. We usually make them into Pasatta and freeze in bags that
can then be used to make soup or in various, mainly pasta, dishes.

I freeze them whole in bags. Then when I want to make some sauce, get
them out, drop them into hot water for a minute - then the skins peel
off so easily. (Essential for a good tomato sauce, if you ask me).

--
regards
andy
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in news:b6iit9Fbg5oU2
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

Do you skin them afterwards, David? We put our frozen ones in the juicer
without skinning and always get annoying bits of skin.
I find skinning them very tedious. Is there an easy way?

Baz
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/08/2013 16:19, Baz wrote:
[...]

Just dip them in boiling water form a min and the skin peals off easily
whilst the inside stays frozen.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the
neighbours than I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)
Have you ever frozen them?
I used to just drop them into a chest freezer, then use them later
instead of tinned tomatoes.

Do you skin them afterwards, David? We put our frozen ones in the
juicer without skinning and always get annoying bits of skin.
I find skinning them very tedious. Is there an easy way?

Baz

Just dip them in boiling water form a min and the skin peals off
easily whilst the inside stays frozen.

That is genious! Thankyou.
Tried it and had to break some of their skins with my nail, but a squeeze
worked. The skin ended up between my finger and thumb. Then back to the
freezer for the skinless tomato.
One of the best tips I have ever had.

Baz

Old 09-08-2013, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

That is genious! Thankyou.
Tried it and had to break some of their skins with my nail, but a squeeze
worked. The skin ended up between my finger and thumb. Then back to the
freezer for the skinless tomato.
One of the best tips I have ever had.

Well - I have never had any problem with tom skins in soup making.
I just bung the whole lot in a food processor - skins and all.
Faffing about removing skins for this end product seems unnecessary.

Pete
Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in
:

Well - I have never had any problem with tom skins in soup making.
I just bung the whole lot in a food processor - skins and all.
Faffing about removing skins for this end product seems unnecessary.

Pete

I know what you mean. But when the skins are tough, faffing around is the
only option apart from binning them. Some of my tomatoes in the past have
had skin like leather.

Baz
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the neighbours than
I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)
The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes. I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't make jams from vegetables".
__________________
Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message ...

The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with
late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes.
I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise
it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't
make jams from vegetables".

Hence, we lead nicely in to the fruit/veg difference topic - lol.
Think of them as the fruit of the tomato plant - then jamming may be looked
on favourably in your brain (:-)

Pete