Old 09-08-2013, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ping David Poole

David, can you give me the name of that red leaf Begonia you gave Ray?
We have an artist interested in buying one and painting it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-09 16:29:24 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:08:30 +0100, Sacha wrote:

David, can you give me the name of that red leaf Begonia you gave Ray?
We have an artist interested in buying one and painting it!

Why not just buy one of a different colour? ;-)

There's always one.... ;-)

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-09 16:29:24 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:08:30 +0100, Sacha wrote:

David, can you give me the name of that red leaf Begonia you gave Ray?
We have an artist interested in buying one and painting it!

Why not just buy one of a different colour? ;-)

There's always one.... ;-)

I wonder if that artist has been painting your butterfly's?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-09 16:29:24 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:08:30 +0100, Sacha wrote:

David, can you give me the name of that red leaf Begonia you gave Ray?
We have an artist interested in buying one and painting it!

Why not just buy one of a different colour? ;-)

There's always one.... ;-)

I wonder if that artist has been painting your butterfly's?

And if David Poole reads this, Ray's remembered it's B. Little Brother
Montgomery. The veins are red, rather than the entire leaf. I'm going
to have to extract much better 'in passing' descriptions from him!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-09 16:29:24 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:08:30 +0100, Sacha wrote:

David, can you give me the name of that red leaf Begonia you gave Ray?
We have an artist interested in buying one and painting it!

Why not just buy one of a different colour? ;-)

There's always one.... ;-)

I wonder if that artist has been painting your butterfly's?

And if David Poole reads this, Ray's remembered it's B. Little Brother
Montgomery. The veins are red, rather than the entire leaf. I'm going
to have to extract much better 'in passing' descriptions from him!

And now Ray has corrected himself. It's Connee Boswell.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha,
I brought several Begonias over for the nursery to try:

'Little Brother Montgomery' - Maple like, silvered leaves pinkish when young, ageing to silver and maroon.
'Connee Boswell' - Large, maple-like silver-pink leaves. larger than LBM
'Benitochiba' - Interestingly divided, metallic, silvery purple leaves and pewter veins.
grandis 'Sapporo' - Coppery red young growths, taller than grandis proper and coppery leaf undersides.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-10 16:41:30 +0100, Dave Poole said:

Sacha,
I brought several Begonias over for the nursery to try:

'Little Brother Montgomery' - Maple like, silvered leaves pinkish when
young, ageing to silver and maroon.
'Connee Boswell' - Large, maple-like silver-pink leaves. larger than LBM
'Benitochiba' - Interestingly divided, metallic, silvery purple leaves
and pewter veins.
grandis 'Sapporo' - Coppery red young growths, taller than grandis
proper and coppery leaf undersides.

Thanks, David. I'll make sure he's got those names firmly fixed on the
last two. And I'll keep a copy of this post, too. He gets very
irritable when other people go into the prop. house and move things
around, especially if labels get knocked off!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-10 16:41:30 +0100, Dave Poole said:

Sacha,
I brought several Begonias over for the nursery to try:

'Little Brother Montgomery' - Maple like, silvered leaves pinkish when
young, ageing to silver and maroon.
'Connee Boswell' - Large, maple-like silver-pink leaves. larger than LBM
'Benitochiba' - Interestingly divided, metallic, silvery purple leaves
and pewter veins.
grandis 'Sapporo' - Coppery red young growths, taller than grandis
proper and coppery leaf undersides.

Yes, they're all in the prop. house. It's Connee (not Connie as I and
some others have spelt it but which you corrected on Fb, thank you)
I'm not a huge Begonia fan but must admit I do find these leaves
seriously good looking. And because it's quite delicate, not a
'blowsy' Begonia, I like that hardy one Begonia grandis ssp Evansiana.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I think I also brought over a new sp. of rhizomatous Begonia currently unidentified and listed as Begonia sp. U614. Cally Gardens are calling it B. sikkimensis, but it is definitely not that sp. The leaves are deeply incised and mainly silver with a very prominent maroon edge. It is quite hardy here and makes a fine clump in light shade.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-12 18:54:17 +0100, Dave Poole said:

I think I also brought over a new sp. of rhizomatous Begonia currently
unidentified and listed as Begonia sp. U614. Cally Gardens are calling
it B. sikkimensis, but it is definitely not that sp. The leaves are
deeply incised and mainly silver with a very prominent maroon edge. It
is quite hardy here and makes a fine clump in light shade.

Thanks, David. I'll pass that on, too. You are more than generous with
your plants and we appreciate it very much. Some friends came in from
Norfolk today who are keen and knowledgeable gardeners who used to live
down here but ended up chicken farming in Norfolk, selling up and
retiring very comfortably on the proceeds so as to make what sounds
like a terrific garden. They brought Ray a few goodies including a
Dahlia merckii and one or two other things I haven't examined closely
yet! She mentioned something she's going to send us which sounded like
Onensis spinosa (she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring
any bells with you?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-08-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:
They brought Ray a few goodies including a
Dahlia merckii and one or two other things I haven't examined closely
yet! She mentioned something she's going to send us which sounded like
Onensis spinosa (she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring
any bells with you?

No it doesn't ATM, but if something springs to mind ...
Dahlia merckii is nice - I rather like some of the species. Have you got D. coccinea 'Palmeri'? It has wonderfully lacey, glossy green foliage topped with rather showy, single, bright orange scarlet flowers. It's reasonably hardy and grows to around 2m. high and across. I have it here and fear I'll not have room for it so I thought about passing it on to you.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2013 22:06, Dave Poole wrote:
Sacha wrote:
They brought Ray a few goodies including a
Dahlia merckii and one or two other things I haven't examined closely
yet! She mentioned something she's going to send us which sounded like
Onensis spinosa (she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring
any bells with you?

No it doesn't ATM, but if something springs to mind ...
Dahlia merckii is nice - I rather like some of the species. Have you got D. coccinea 'Palmeri'? It has wonderfully lacey, glossy green foliage topped with rather showy, single, bright orange scarlet flowers. It's reasonably hardy and grows to around 2m. high and across. I have it here and fear I'll not have room for it so I thought about passing it on to you.

Do you have a picture of D. coccinea Palmeri David?
I have a few D. Coccina but they just have collection numbers.
David @ a much cooler side of Swansea Bay
Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-12 22:06:44 +0100, Dave Poole said:

Sacha wrote:
They brought Ray a few goodies including a Dahlia merckii and one or
two other things I haven't examined closely yet! She mentioned
something she's going to send us which sounded like Onensis spinosa
(she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring any bells with
you?

No it doesn't ATM, but if something springs to mind ...
Dahlia merckii is nice - I rather like some of the species. Have you
got D. coccinea 'Palmeri'? It has wonderfully lacey, glossy green
foliage topped with rather showy, single, bright orange scarlet
flowers. It's reasonably hardy and grows to around 2m. high and
across. I have it here and fear I'll not have room for it so I thought
about passing it on to you.

No, we don't have that but I think that's one she was trying to
describe to us. I'm sure Ray would be very grateful to give a home to a
poor orphaned Dahlia. I think he said he'd had D.merckii and lost it
somehow, so he was rather glad to get it again. There's another
interesting looking plant she's included and I'll get the name tomorrow.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-08-2013, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-12 18:54:17 +0100, Dave Poole said:

She mentioned something she's going to send us which sounded like
Onensis spinosa (she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring
any bells with you?

Maybe something to do with a particularly thorny form of Rosa omeiensis?

--

Jeff
Old 13-08-2013, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-12 18:54:17 +0100, Dave Poole said:

She mentioned something she's going to send us which sounded like
Onensis spinosa (she couldn't remember the name clearly) Does that ring
any bells with you?

Maybe something to do with a particularly thorny form of Rosa omeiensis?

Thanks Jeff but I don't think so - I'll email her for a better
description. They're in Devon/Cornwall on holiday so when they get home
I'll hope to get a better idea. Had it been Rosa, I don't think she'd
have struggled to remember the name. It seemed the first name was
Onensis or Oniensis but she was quite clear that the second was
'spinosa'.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com