Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Done on Ebay again...please help identify plant.

Good morning everyone. I purchased what were supposedly the following
http://tinyurl.com/ke7j8gk
Iberis sempervirens - Snowflake - 100 Seeds - Perennial Candytuft
from Ebay.

Not many of the seeds took, but they did with a passion. These are
only supposed to grow about 6inches or so. But the plants I have are
flying high at up to 18inches and they ere only planted as seeds in
June!

Sorry the pics are quite poor but its very windy out there. One of my
neighbours thinks they are weeds...lol

Could I please ask some of you to take a look and see what you think?
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2013 10:11, Roger wrote:
Good morning everyone. I purchased what were supposedly the following
http://tinyurl.com/ke7j8gk
Iberis sempervirens - Snowflake - 100 Seeds - Perennial Candytuft
from Ebay.

Not many of the seeds took, but they did with a passion. These are
only supposed to grow about 6inches or so. But the plants I have are
flying high at up to 18inches and they ere only planted as seeds in
June!

Sorry the pics are quite poor but its very windy out there. One of my
neighbours thinks they are weeds...lol

Could I please ask some of you to take a look and see what you think?
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

Many thanks in anticipation.

Looks like nice healthy Fat hen to me (Weed)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2013 10:11, Roger wrote:
Good morning everyone. I purchased what were supposedly the following
http://tinyurl.com/ke7j8gk
Iberis sempervirens - Snowflake - 100 Seeds - Perennial Candytuft
from Ebay.

Not many of the seeds took, but they did with a passion. These are
only supposed to grow about 6inches or so. But the plants I have are
flying high at up to 18inches and they ere only planted as seeds in
June!

Sorry the pics are quite poor but its very windy out there. One of my
neighbours thinks they are weeds...lol

Could I please ask some of you to take a look and see what you think?
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

Many thanks in anticipation.

One thought.
What sort of soil/compost did you sow the seeds in?
I remember a neighbour who was a very experienced gardener sowing a tray
of seed in garden soil, then pricking out a very nice tray of
willow-herb from it.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2013 10:11, Roger wrote:
Good morning everyone. I purchased what were supposedly the following
http://tinyurl.com/ke7j8gk
Iberis sempervirens - Snowflake - 100 Seeds - Perennial Candytuft
from Ebay.

Not many of the seeds took, but they did with a passion. These are
only supposed to grow about 6inches or so. But the plants I have are
flying high at up to 18inches and they ere only planted as seeds in
June!

Sorry the pics are quite poor but its very windy out there. One of my
neighbours thinks they are weeds...lol

Could I please ask some of you to take a look and see what you think?
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ab...ibrary/flowers

Many thanks in anticipation.

I'll come back for a 3rd time.
I seem to remember that Iberis seed is flat whilst Fat hen seed has a
rough round seed.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:43:36 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

Does look like the fat hen described. I used mole hill soil from the
lawns. The moles were very generous for a month or so with good soil,
but then just when i became reliant the little critters stopped!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:45:53 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

They were flat light brownish seeds
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

On further reflection and examination of the bricks it looks like
maybe 3 or 4 (out of 100) of the seeds have actually taken because the
leaves look these at the bottom
http://www.flowers.goodpages.co.uk/i...nial-candytuft
but they have only grown 2 or 3cm since mid June! Which then means the
only other common denominator for the fat hen is the mole hill soil. I
don't get it...unless cutting the grass regular just means I stop any
potential fat hen on the lawn. But then sometimes I do let little
sections grow wild and no sign of anything but grasses and usual
weeds.

I guess maybe I should have potted the seeds first rather than sowing
them straight outside.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Then the fat hen must have been in the soil

Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Which then means the
only other common denominator for the fat hen is the mole hill soil. I
don't get it...unless cutting the grass regular just means I stop any
potential fat hen on the lawn. But then sometimes I do let little
sections grow wild and no sign of anything but grasses and usual
weeds.
Fat hen and the other chenopodiums tend to be weeds of disturbed soil where they face little competition. They can't compete against grass. So it's not the grass cutting that's stopping it on the lawn, it's the fact you've provided the conditions for the grass to thrive in the first place.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

They were flat light brownish seeds

Then the fat hen must have been in the soil

Apology to Ebay due - lol

Pete