Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glasshouse clearance with a vengance

A couple of winters ago the snow brought down most of my 50ft 3 bay
glasshouse, and what with one thing and another I have been putting off
clearing the site.
Today I made a start, I have to get it cleared in the next week or so as
I have a couple of smaller greenhouses coming and they are to go on that
site.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psda7b2807.jpg

Taffy at an overcast side of Swansea Bay
Old 13-08-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2013 18:13, David Hill wrote:
A couple of winters ago the snow brought down most of my 50ft 3 bay
glasshouse, and what with one thing and another I have been putting off
clearing the site.
Today I made a start, I have to get it cleared in the next week or so as
I have a couple of smaller greenhouses coming and they are to go on that
site.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psda7b2807.jpg

Taffy at an overcast side of Swansea Bay

Only just seen this. What an horrendous mess! I really don't envy you
that job. Just clearing the green overgrowth will be a mammoth task.

Since you've given us a 'before' pic, do give us an 'after' pic with the
site cleared ... and then another one with the new greenhouses in place.
Pretty please.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 14-08-2013, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2013 22:39, Spider wrote:
On 10/08/2013 18:13, David Hill wrote:
A couple of winters ago the snow brought down most of my 50ft 3 bay
glasshouse, and what with one thing and another I have been putting off
clearing the site.
Today I made a start, I have to get it cleared in the next week or so as
I have a couple of smaller greenhouses coming and they are to go on that
site.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psda7b2807.jpg

Taffy at an overcast side of Swansea Bay

Only just seen this. What an horrendous mess! I really don't envy you
that job. Just clearing the green overgrowth will be a mammoth task.

Since you've given us a 'before' pic, do give us an 'after' pic with the
site cleared ... and then another one with the new greenhouses in place.
Pretty please.

Getting there slowly, but the rain forecast today wont help.I cant say
that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. but at least now I
can see the tunnel.
As you say it's the over growth, Wild clematis, Jasminum beesianum, a
rambling rose and brambles, my hands are tender, and I feel kippered,
burning in an enclosed area the smoke was trapped several times and I
had no way out.
Once I had the first large burn I've tried to keep it to a smaller
ongoing fire to burn as I cut.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps5e60612b.jpg

The depth/thickness of the growth is making it a slow job, and having
glass mixed in means no power tools, it's all secateurs and pulling.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa63f2718.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psed659d94.jpg
Thinking about the Jasmine, with plants selling at around $5.00 or more
I must have burned about £1,000's worth or more.
Taffy @ a damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 14-08-2013, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2013 08:33, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Hope the rain stays off. Ours did; just getting a wee shower now.
Take care with all the glass around, and fire too.
Wishing you luck, from the dry end of south east England with a raindrop
on it :~).

Old 14-08-2013, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2013 19:03, Spider wrote:
[...]

That should have been plants selling for £5.00 or more Not Dollars.
As fore the rain. on and off all day, I just wish Sacha had been a
little more specific with her request for rain.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay

Old 14-08-2013, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2013 20:04, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I guessed!

As fore the rain. on and off all day, I just wish Sacha had been a
little more specific with her request for rain.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay

Looks like she's going to get her wish tomorrow. You, too, perhaps.
Hope it doesn't put your bonfire out. I have mixed feelings: rain would
be good for the garden *and* I'd get my accounts done; dry and sunny
means I can mow my other lawn and pot up a handful of plants *and* watch
the garden shrivel a bit mo~(. Oh well, I won't be idle whatever
happens!

[Oh, bye-the-way, there's no way I would pay £5 for a Jasmine yanked up
by the roots then rescued from a bonfire!. YMMV ;~)].

Old 14-08-2013, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-14 20:04:24 +0100, David Hill said:

On 14/08/2013 19:03, Spider wrote:
snip

Hope the rain stays off. Ours did; just getting a wee shower now.
Take care with all the glass around, and fire too.
Wishing you luck, from the dry end of south east England with a raindrop
on it :~).

That should have been plants selling for £5.00 or more Not Dollars.
As fore the rain. on and off all day, I just wish Sacha had been a
little more specific with her request for rain.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay

Oh certainly! All my fault! ;-) No rain here now but a very warm
night, so it will probably be foggy tomorrow morning which, perversely,
I rather like. Must be conditioning by all those foggy mornings in the
CIs childhood! The forecast is for very good weather and that would be
lovely. I wonder if the Akebia quinata will fruit this year. I must try
to remember to take a look at it tomorrow and see what's going on.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-08-2013, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2013 22:47, Spider wrote:
[...]

My bonfire is no more, I think someone stole it, it had died right down
so I put a load on top to dry then a sheet of polythene on top to keep
the rain off, this morning it had all gone.
Old 15-08-2013, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-14 23:26:09 +0100, David Hill said:
snip
My bonfire is no more, I think someone stole it, it had died right down
so I put a load on top to dry then a sheet of polythene on top to keep
the rain off, this morning it had all gone.

What, polythene and all?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2013-08-14 23:26:09 +0100, David Hill said:
snip
My bonfire is no more, I think someone stole it, it had died right down
so I put a load on top to dry then a sheet of polythene on top to keep
the rain off, this morning it had all gone.

What, polythene and all?!

Polythene burns too...

Janet

Old 15-08-2013, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/08/2013 23:26, David Hill wrote:
[...]

!!! Unbelieveable!! Why would any two-legged rat possibly want that?!
No disrespect to your bonfire, of course, but the very idea is simply
brainless. No doubt you can start another, if needs be. Better get
security guards in.

Old 15-08-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 13:55, Spider wrote:
[...]

Don't you mean a fire guard?
Old 15-08-2013, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 17:38:07 +0100, David Hill said:

On 15/08/2013 13:55, Spider wrote:
snip
!!! Unbelieveable!! Why would any two-legged rat possibly want that?!
No disrespect to your bonfire, of course, but the very idea is simply
brainless. No doubt you can start another, if needs be. Better get
security guards in.

Don't you mean a fire guard?

Perhaps you have some unruly types in the area who couldn't resist an
opportunity and you will see a ramshackle greenhouse somewhere, built
out of the remains of your once-good ones! Either that, or someone is
starting early on Guy Fawkes bonfires!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 17:38, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Yes, yes, very good, David :~). Should have thought of that.