Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered User

Default 3 plants for ID please

I wonder if some of the experts here can please help me identify the following?

The first is a garden plant about four feet tall (at the moment!). The second is a shrub about 15 feet tall. The third is a small tree.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
3 plants for ID please-unknown1.jpg   3 plants for ID please-unknown2.jpg   3 plants for ID please-unknown3.jpg
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:40:16 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:38:29 +0200, David56802
wrote:

I wonder if some of the experts here can please help me identify the
following?

The first is a garden plant about four feet tall (at the moment!). The
second is a shrub about 15 feet tall. The third is a small tree.

Any ideas?

|Filename: unknown1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15797|
|Filename: unknown2.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15798|
|Filename: unknown3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15799|

1) No idea
2) Escallonia, possibly E. Iveyi ?
3) Privet?

1) No idea
2) I would say is pyracantha.
3) agreed, privet

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

|Download: The 2nd is Escalonia, you say it's abush about 15fthttp://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15797|
|Filename: unknown2.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15798|
|Filename: unknown3.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15799|

The 2nd is Escalonia,
You say it's a bush about 15 ft tall, that gives me a problem with the 3rd.
It is a form of Privet, I suspect the ordinary hedging form (Ligustrum
Ovalifolium, or Ligustrum Vulgare ) but I've never seen it growing as a
tree,
There is a form of Tree Privet (Ligustrum lucidum). but it has leaves
about 3 inches long and the tree can reach 30ft .
David

Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
[...]

Flower shape of 2 is a better fit for Pyracantha than for Escallonia.
__________________
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Flower shape of 2 is a better fit for Pyracantha than for Escallonia.
I know why you are saying that, but my guess is Escallonia too. Poster will know in a couple of months because Pyracantha will be covered in showy berries and Escallonia won't be. Bit late for Pyracantha flowers is one hint it is more likely to be E.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 11/08/2013 18:38, David56802 wrote:
I wonder if some of the experts here can please help me identify the
following?

The first is a garden plant about four feet tall (at the moment!).
The second is a shrub about 15 feet tall. The third is a small tree.

Any ideas? [...]

The 2nd is Escalonia,
You say it's a bush about 15 ft tall, that gives me a problem with the
3rd.
It is a form of Privet, I suspect the ordinary hedging form (Ligustrum
Ovalifolium, or Ligustrum Vulgare ) but I've never seen it growing as
a tree,
There is a form of Tree Privet (Ligustrum lucidum). but it has leaves
about 3 inches long and the tree can reach 30ft .
David

I can't claim any expertise but:
1)The round hard-looking flower buds on the first remind me of
centaureas, so given the current height, could it be Centaurea
macrocephala? I think that does have wavy, pointed foliage.

2) Agree Escallonia Iveyi. I used to grow this one and it had those
glossy leaves that made more of an impact than other Escallonias and the
shrub grew fairly upright, taller than it was wide. A handsome shrub I
thought, but I lost mine when I foolishly tried to move it in unsuitably
dry weather and forgot to water it enough. :-/

3) Yes, looks very Privet like.

--
Sue

Old 12-08-2013, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

The 2nd is Escalonia,
You say it's a bush about 15 ft tall, that gives me a problem with the
3rd.
It is a form of Privet, I suspect the ordinary hedging form (Ligustrum
Ovalifolium, or Ligustrum Vulgare ) but I've never seen it growing as a

tree,
There is a form of Tree Privet (Ligustrum lucidum). but it has leaves
about 3 inches long and the tree can reach 30ft .
David

Flower shape of 2 is a better fit for Pyracantha than for Escallonia.

Sorry to disagree, but I think it's the complete opposite. Type
"Escallonia 'Iveyi'" in google images search and see the results....

Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2013 09:35, kay wrote:
David Hill;989660 Wrote:
On 11/08/2013 18:38, David56802 wrote:-
I wonder if some of the experts here can please help me identify the
following?

The first is a garden plant about four feet tall (at the moment!). The
second is a shrub about 15 feet tall. The third is a small tree.

Any ideas?

|Filename: unknown1.jpg |
|Download: The 2nd is Escalonia, you say it's abush about
15fthttp://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15797|
|Filename: unknown2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15798|
|Filename: unknown3.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15799|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

The 2nd is Escalonia,
You say it's a bush about 15 ft tall, that gives me a problem with the
3rd.
It is a form of Privet, I suspect the ordinary hedging form (Ligustrum
Ovalifolium, or Ligustrum Vulgare ) but I've never seen it growing as a

tree,
There is a form of Tree Privet (Ligustrum lucidum). but it has leaves
about 3 inches long and the tree can reach 30ft .
David

Flower shape of 2 is a better fit for Pyracantha than for Escallonia.

When have you seen Pyracantha flowers with a tube?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb20b6eda.jpg

Also their leaves have a rounded tip and fine serrations, found on
Escalonia not Pyracantha

Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Registered User

Thanks very much for the IDs.

When I said the third is a tree, I just meant it's more tree-like than shrub-like in shape, though actually quite small. I think it might be Wild Privet. I've seen garden privet growing wild, and it looks just like an overgrown hedge, not tree like at all, and of course the leaves are smaller on the garden variety.
Old 13-08-2013, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/08/2013 09:35, kay wrote:
David Hill;989660 Wrote:
On 11/08/2013 18:38, David56802 wrote:-
I wonder if some of the experts here can please help me identify the
following?

The first is a garden plant about four feet tall (at the moment!). The
second is a shrub about 15 feet tall. The third is a small tree.

Any ideas?

|Filename: unknown1.jpg |
|Download: The 2nd is Escalonia, you say it's abush about
15fthttp://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15797|
|Filename: unknown2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15798|
|Filename: unknown3.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15799|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

The 2nd is Escalonia,
You say it's a bush about 15 ft tall, that gives me a problem with the
3rd.
It is a form of Privet, I suspect the ordinary hedging form (Ligustrum
Ovalifolium, or Ligustrum Vulgare ) but I've never seen it growing as a

tree,
There is a form of Tree Privet (Ligustrum lucidum). but it has leaves
about 3 inches long and the tree can reach 30ft .
David

Flower shape of 2 is a better fit for Pyracantha than for Escallonia.

I disagree. Also the lack of vicious thorns suggests not Pyracantha. The
berries will be definitive.

I wonder if the first one is some sort of everlasting flower although I
have never seen a double one in such a drab colour (probably wrong ID).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-08-2013, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David56802" wrote in message
news

Thanks very much for the IDs.

When I said the third is a tree, I just meant it's more tree-like than
shrub-like in shape, though actually quite small. I think it might be
Wild Privet. I've seen garden privet growing wild, and it looks just
like an overgrown hedge, not tree like at all, and of course the leaves
are smaller on the garden variety.

David56802

Wild privet Ligustrum vulgare has a narrower leaf. The photo is garden
privet L. ovalifolium.
R.

Old 13-08-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2013 07:53, Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/08/2013 09:35, kay wrote:
David Hill;989660 Wrote:
On 11/08/2013 18:38, David56802 wrote:-
I wonder if some of the experts here can please help me identify the
following?

The first is a garden plant about four feet tall (at the moment!). The
second is a shrub about 15 feet tall. The third is a small tree.

Any ideas?

|Filename: unknown1.jpg |
|Download: The 2nd is Escalonia, you say it's abush about
15fthttp://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15797|
|Filename: unknown2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15798|
|Filename: unknown3.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15799|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-

The 2nd is Escalonia,
You say it's a bush about 15 ft tall, that gives me a problem with the
3rd.
It is a form of Privet, I suspect the ordinary hedging form (Ligustrum
Ovalifolium, or Ligustrum Vulgare ) but I've never seen it growing as a

tree,
There is a form of Tree Privet (Ligustrum lucidum). but it has leaves
about 3 inches long and the tree can reach 30ft .
David

Flower shape of 2 is a better fit for Pyracantha than for Escallonia.

I disagree. Also the lack of vicious thorns suggests not Pyracantha. The
berries will be definitive.

I wonder if the first one is some sort of everlasting flower although I
have never seen a double one in such a drab colour (probably wrong ID).

I had to google to convince myself, but Indigo's ID of Centaurea
macrocephala seems to be correct. (I was also wondering about some sort
of everlasting.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley