Old 15-08-2013, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Look out the runner beans are coming!

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

Martin said:

snip

After all the articles about how bad things are for farmers because of
climate change, there's a farmer in East Yorkshire expecting to get
his record crop of barley in the Guinness Book of Records as a world
record. Not sure what this has to do with the subject.

And I read today that the cherry crop is terrific. There's a dwarf form
planted in a Kent orchard yielding a terrific crop. The form is
'Gisela'.

Gisela 5 is the most dwarfing rootstock for cherries, all our four are on
that rootstock. Strangely Brogdale didn't want us to have the tree we
ordered from them on that rootstock, they said it was too dwarfing for
the garden and best for container grown trees and I had to persuade them
by saying I can't do ladders. All ours are doing very well, I've had to
prune them quite hard this year to keep them within their cage and we got
a reasonable crop (the second year for 2 and third year for 2). Blackfly
on the new growth was a serious problem this year.

The orchard I read about growing these watch the ripening like hawks and
move cages over the trees at the appropriate time, so the cages must be
quite a size, I'd think. I don't really understand that about it being too
dwarfing for the garden. Do they mean it spreads more than it rises, if you
see what I mean?!

It keeps the trees smaller in every way except the size of the fruit. So it
makes it much easier to pick the crop, the trees can be closer together, and
they are just easier to deal with, prune and spray etc. We have 4 under a 6
metre long cage.
If you see an old sweet cherry tree they are huge, we had one down the road,
unfortunately felled to make way for housing, but it was taller than a two
storey house and roof.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-08-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-14 23:11:23 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

Martin said:

[...]

They showed them the other week being grown in poly tunnels
Old 15-08-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 16:51:53 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

Martin said:

[...]

Yes indeed. All this makes me wonder why they tried to 'warn' you off
them! I'll be telling the boss about these because I hope some time
will be found this winter to build a fruit cage. We have to find a
drier part of the field though, that's the problem.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-14 23:11:23 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

Martin said:

[...]

I can see Ray's face now! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

[...]

If you intend to get some cherries on Gisela 5 rootstock then you need to
chose the variety you want and then look for it on that rootstock, we ended
up having to get our 4 from 3 different places.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-08-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 22:52:05 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

[...]

I'm *hoping* to, but whether I'll succeed is another matter! Which did
you get because you seem happy with them?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-08-2013, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
I read that, then noticed the price of cherries on Ox.St go from
2.50/lb to 4/lb in a week. :-(

The same here. The source changed from imported to Dutch.

Heh, for a moment my brain went "hang on, Dutch /are/ imported!".
Today I bought 1lb for 2.80, but that was Oop Norf.
Old 16-08-2013, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ((SNIP))

I'm *hoping* to, but whether I'll succeed is another matter! Which did
you get because you seem happy with them?

Sue only likes black cherries so that is what we went for...
Lapins (Cherokee)
Summer Sun
Sunburst
Stella
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-08-2013, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 08:06:37 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ((SNIP))

I'm *hoping* to, but whether I'll succeed is another matter! Which did
you get because you seem happy with them?

Sue only likes black cherries so that is what we went for...
Lapins (Cherokee)
Summer Sun
Sunburst
Stella

Yes, the black ones are Ray's favourites, too. I'll keep that list and
talk to him about it. It does all depend on someone having time to
build a fruit cage.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-08-2013, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2013 08:06, Bob Hobden wrote:

Sue only likes black cherries so that is what we went for...
Lapins (Cherokee)
Summer Sun
Sunburst
Stella

I love Stella (cherries) - but I'm sure my Stellas have been red for the
last three years. That said, the damn pigeons get virtually all of them
before they ripen. But this year I did get a handful and they seemed
ripe enough and were defintely red.

Maybe they go darker as they ripen more - but they don't get that far
here...

--
regards
andy