Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Look out the runner beans are coming!

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2013 18:57, Broadback wrote:
I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

We've been cropping them for the last couple of weeks. The freezer is
already on its way to becoming full. Just wish the the frozen ones were
as nice and firm as fresh beans.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ours have been working overtime for a couple of weeks now, but the question
is, 'How do you freeze Runner Beans so they taste that good when thawed out
and cooked later?' We will soon be having too many on a daily basis.

We have tried blanching, picking young (which we do in any case), not
blanching ................. every combination. Any tips please?

Mike
.................................................. .........................

Old 11-08-2013, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2013 17:57, Broadback wrote:
I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

French green beans have to be superior? Far easier to prepare and can be
used in salads.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2013 18:09, 'Mike' wrote:
Ours have been working overtime for a couple of weeks now, but the
question is, 'How do you freeze Runner Beans so they taste that good
when thawed out and cooked later?' We will soon be having too many on a
daily basis.

We have tried blanching, picking young (which we do in any case), not
blanching ................. every combination. Any tips please?

Mike
.................................................. ........................

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

Who remembers salting them down in Kilner Jars?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Saxman" wrote in message
On 11/08/2013 17:57, Broadback wrote:
I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

French green beans have to be superior? Far easier to prepare and can be
used in salads.

Ah! the modern view, convenience is king - bugger the taste!

Phil

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2013 18:52, Phil Gurr wrote:
"Saxman" wrote in message
On 11/08/2013 17:57, Broadback wrote:
I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

French green beans have to be superior? Far easier to prepare and can be
used in salads.

Ah! the modern view, convenience is king - bugger the taste!

Phil

I remember that years ago the bean to grow for freezing was Blue Lake, a
stringless climbing French bean that really was stringless, good flavour
and great for freezing.
Still available
Old 11-08-2013, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

Ours have just started; one picking so far that (only) just fed six.
Lots of old flower stems with no pods :-(

Who remembers salting them down in Kilner Jars?

my MIL did that (in the 60's/70's) and they looked and tasted hideous.

Janet
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

I might have a go at drying some. My mother always sliced them thin and
left them on sheets of newspaper to dry in the airing cupboard until
they were all shrivelled up then stored them in Kilner jars. They kept
for years. They just needed soaking prior to cooking. They kept a fair
amount of flavour but never quite expanded to their original size.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

A freind of mine used to store his in brine IIRC (not frozen)

Bill

Old 11-08-2013, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote ..

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they never
stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

We don't like them frozen at all so only use what we want. We only planted
half the usual number this year and still we are in a glut so next year it's
half again. We can't give them away locally.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2013 22:50, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote ..

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

We don't like them frozen at all so only use what we want. We only
planted half the usual number this year and still we are in a glut so
next year it's half again. We can't give them away locally.

Checked my beans today, about 40 ft row, not one bean, just empty
stalks, I've never had this problem before, could it be that bumble bees
cant pollinate runners? I haven't seen any other bees on them, and no
hover fly.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

Who remembers salting them down in Kilner Jars?

My grandfather used to do this and always came round on Christmas Day with a
jar as his present to us. As long as you flushed them well in cold running
water for a few minutes before cooking them they weren't too bad.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote ..

I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

We don't like them frozen at all so only use what we want. We only
planted half the usual number this year and still we are in a glut so
next year it's half again. We can't give them away locally.

Checked my beans today, about 40 ft row, not one bean, just empty stalks,
I've never had this problem before, could it be that bumble bees cant
pollinate runners? I haven't seen any other bees on them, and no hover fly.

Depends on the Bumblebee, I understand some of the larger ones get the
nectar by biting into the stem of the flower instead of working their way
into it the correct way for pollination. I've only seen Bumbles on our beans
this year but we seem to have a variety of species and in large numbers too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman[_4_] View Post
On 11/08/2013 17:57, Broadback wrote:
I have just picked the first of my runner beans, Once they start they
never stop! The freezer will be working overtime the next few weeks.

French green beans have to be superior? Far easier to prepare and can be
used in salads.
But they taste different. I prefer them, but if you are one of the people that prefers the taste of runners, french are not an adequate substitute.