GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208038-plant-id-please.html)

thescullster 12-08-2013 04:03 PM

Plant ID Please

Hi all

Sorry for the (lack of) quality of this image http://a360.co/19YYRiU.

The plant is self seeded to the left of a currant bush.
The first 12-18" is a vertical stem with horizontal pointed leaves.
Above this, multiple stems splay out and are topped atm with what look
like tightly bound green buds about 1/2" diameter.

I was intrigued by the initial vertical stem, so let it continue growing
in the (mainly) vegetable plot.

Anyone put a name to this please?

We do put mixed bird seed out, but I would be surprised if that was the
source.

Thanks

Phil

gogo[_3_] 12-08-2013 04:23 PM

Plant ID Please

On 12/08/2013 16:03, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Sorry for the (lack of) quality of this image http://a360.co/19YYRiU.

The plant is self seeded to the left of a currant bush.
The first 12-18" is a vertical stem with horizontal pointed leaves.
Above this, multiple stems splay out and are topped atm with what look
like tightly bound green buds about 1/2" diameter.

I was intrigued by the initial vertical stem, so let it continue growing
in the (mainly) vegetable plot.

Anyone put a name to this please?

We do put mixed bird seed out, but I would be surprised if that was the
source.

Thanks

Phil

Definitely an Euphorbia. Euphorbia lathyris maybe?

Janet 12-08-2013 04:31 PM

Plant ID Please

In article ,
says...

On 12/08/2013 16:03, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Sorry for the (lack of) quality of this image
http://a360.co/19YYRiU.

The plant is self seeded to the left of a currant bush.
The first 12-18" is a vertical stem with horizontal pointed leaves.
Above this, multiple stems splay out and are topped atm with what look
like tightly bound green buds about 1/2" diameter.

I was intrigued by the initial vertical stem, so let it continue growing
in the (mainly) vegetable plot.

Anyone put a name to this please?

We do put mixed bird seed out, but I would be surprised if that was the
source.

Thanks

Phil

Definitely an Euphorbia. Euphorbia lathyris maybe?

If you pull it up or cut it, be careful of the milky white sap, it's a
skin irritant which can cause longterm photosensitivity . The common
name is caper spurge but the caper-like seeds are not edible.

Janet

Christina Websell 12-08-2013 05:13 PM

Plant ID Please

"thescullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Sorry for the (lack of) quality of this image http://a360.co/19YYRiU.

The plant is self seeded to the left of a currant bush.
The first 12-18" is a vertical stem with horizontal pointed leaves.
Above this, multiple stems splay out and are topped atm with what look
like tightly bound green buds about 1/2" diameter.

I was intrigued by the initial vertical stem, so let it continue growing
in the (mainly) vegetable plot.

Anyone put a name to this please?

We do put mixed bird seed out, but I would be surprised if that was the
source.

Thanks

Phil

It's caper spurge. I also have some self seeded near my veggie plot
although mine are not quite as leggy as yours. I'd never seen them before
and had to look them up.

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 12-08-2013 09:51 PM

Plant ID Please

On 12/08/2013 16:23, gogo wrote:
On 12/08/2013 16:03, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Sorry for the (lack of) quality of this image http://a360.co/19YYRiU.

The plant is self seeded to the left of a currant bush.
The first 12-18" is a vertical stem with horizontal pointed leaves.
Above this, multiple stems splay out and are topped atm with what look
like tightly bound green buds about 1/2" diameter.

I was intrigued by the initial vertical stem, so let it continue growing
in the (mainly) vegetable plot.

Anyone put a name to this please?

We do put mixed bird seed out, but I would be surprised if that was the
source.

Thanks

Phil

Definitely an Euphorbia. Euphorbia lathyris maybe?

Yes, caper spurge (Euphorbia lathyris); I had guessed that before
looking at the photo.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

thescullster 14-08-2013 10:42 AM

Plant ID Please

On 12/08/2013 16:03, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

Sorry for the (lack of) quality of this image http://a360.co/19YYRiU.

The plant is self seeded to the left of a currant bush.
The first 12-18" is a vertical stem with horizontal pointed leaves.
Above this, multiple stems splay out and are topped atm with what look
like tightly bound green buds about 1/2" diameter.

I was intrigued by the initial vertical stem, so let it continue growing
in the (mainly) vegetable plot.

Anyone put a name to this please?

We do put mixed bird seed out, but I would be surprised if that was the
source.

Thanks

Phil

Many thanks to all - I'll watch out for the milky sap.

Phil