Old 15-08-2013, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Query for David Hill

David, do you know of a Dahlia called North Star and if so, is it
scented and do you have it? I think it was bred by JRG Dahlias in
Cumbria. I've noticed this year that our Dahlias all seem to be doing
quite well (not all came from you!) but the only one that has failed to
show up is D Blackcurrant Ripple. Twining's After Eight is flowering
exceptionally well.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 12:25, Sacha wrote:
David, do you know of a Dahlia called North Star and if so, is it
scented and do you have it? I think it was bred by JRG Dahlias in
Cumbria. I've noticed this year that our Dahlias all seem to be doing
quite well (not all came from you!) but the only one that has failed to
show up is D Blackcurrant Ripple. Twining's After Eight is flowering
exceptionally well.

There are 3 Dahlias going under the Name North Star,
North Star II Medium Cactus White. 1952
nds53
North Star I Small Ball Purple.
1840 gw
North Star III Star White.
2006 As you thought it was raised by Jack Gott at Jrg
dahlias.It seems as if it may be scented.
No, I don't have it but have a few seedlings looking rather like it.
I am finding that the tree dahlias and their offspring are doing well
but the others which I am growing in plunged pots this year are mixed,
they didn't like the heatwave.and this rain the last couple of days has
brought out the slugs.
David @ the damp part of Swansea Bay

Old 15-08-2013, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 13:00:24 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

It must be the last, yes and 2006 is the date it was to be 'launched'.
Looking at his site, I can't see if that's for sale or not so I've
emailed him. Thanks, David.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha, when as so often you address private or business messages for
individual posters, it would be a courtesy to take them to email, post,
or telephone.

Thankyou.

Janet

Old 15-08-2013, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 13:00:24 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

What interests me (and possibly other urglers who grow Dahlias) is the
scented aspect of it. I love the form of the flower but I think really
scented Dahlias are rather unusual? I have the impression it's
something that's been worked on in USA. Have you encountered any and
is the scent really easily detectable? Just had some people admiring
Twining's After Eight enormously - pity we don't sell it! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 15:24, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-08-15 13:00:24 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

I had them listed for several years but they have been amongst the
casualties of the last couple of years.
The scent is very mild and sometimes you do wonder if it's in your
imagination . Certainly something you wouldn't grow for the scent
Old 15-08-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 14:29, Janet wrote:

Sacha, when as so often you address private or business messages for
individual posters, it would be a courtesy to take them to email, post,
or telephone.

Thankyou.

Janet

If you are so worried why did you send this to urg and not directly to
Sacha as this is intended only for her?
Or is your intention to try to make yourself look good?

I feel that this question about dahlias is very relevant to the group
and raises some interesting points re scented dahlias etc,
The First One "High scent" Was Raised In Canada By Wayne Holland who
made seed available for interested people to trial, this was in the
early part of this century.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdb300b9f.jpg.

Old 15-08-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 13:00:24 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Ah, thanks, David. That's pretty much what I wanted to know and perhaps
it answers Pam's query, too. I'm quite taken by that 'Star' type but
otoh, like the Cactus too, so it's a bit contradictory! And I really
like the Bishop series and especially, of course, Bishop of Llandaff.
The colour is just terrific, imo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 13:00:24 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

For those that like star dahlias then you need to be looking at Honka
which now comes in several colours
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psef41dcdb.jpg
Another one you would like is Starchild
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pse930746f.jpg

David

Old 15-08-2013, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 13:00:24 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Oh yes, I really DO like that one! Very elegant and cool in the real
sense of that word. Star Dahlias are new to me so this is an education!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 15/08/2013 14:29, Janet wrote:

Sacha, when as so often you address private or business messages for
individual posters, it would be a courtesy to take them to email, post,
or telephone.

Thankyou.

Janet

If you are so worried why did you send this to urg and not directly to
Sacha as this is intended only for her?

Because I don't know her email address; she uses a munged one on
group.

Or is your intention to try to make yourself look good?

Is that why sacha conducts her private mail on group?

Janet
Old 15-08-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 22:15, Janet wrote:
If you are so worried why did you send this to urg and not directly to
Sacha as this is intended only for her?

Because I don't know her email address; she uses a munged one on
group.

And you don't use the same sort of munged one?
Old 15-08-2013, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 22:28:35 +0100, David Hill said:

On 15/08/2013 22:15, Janet wrote:
If you are so worried why did you send this to urg and not directly to
Sacha as this is intended only for her?

Because I don't know her email address; she uses a munged one on
group.

And you don't use the same sort of munged one?

The nursery site is in my sig.file and that gives an email address
which ensures emails will reach me, as those who have used it know.
All emails may be read by others which might, of course, deter the
malicious. I'm really not interested in Janet or her nonsense. It's a
vendetta against me, of her making and for her own reasons to which
she's welcome. Discussing Dahlias could hardly be more on topic for a
gardening group, and discussing them with an expert, such as yourself,
makes us lucky to have that chance, which is all that actually matters
in this issue.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 15/08/2013 22:15, Janet wrote:
If you are so worried why did you send this to urg and not directly to
Sacha as this is intended only for her?

Because I don't know her email address; she uses a munged one on
group.

And you don't use the same sort of munged one?

Of course; but you asked why I did not reply direct to Sacha. Duh.

Janet.

ping David Hill Sacha United Kingdom 6 02-08-2013 03:34 PM
Dahlia excelsa - for David Hill Sacha[_4_] United Kingdom 4 26-10-2009 10:38 AM
David Hill Sacha United Kingdom 0 05-12-2005 01:37 PM
David Hill and his Dahlia! Sacha United Kingdom 2 22-10-2004 05:34 PM