Old 15-08-2013, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing but not flowering

I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this
year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new
leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its
strength.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-08-2013, 10:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this
year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new
leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its
strength.
If anything, it's been the other way around here. It's been a fantastic year for flowers, and two water lilies that have sulked in the 6-year rainy season that we've just had flowered this year for the first time in about four years.

Up in the Dales it's been equally fantastic - a late start, but common spotted and heath spotted orchids in amazing profusion, and frog orchids all over the place.
__________________
Old 16-08-2013, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-15 22:19:06 +0100, kay said:

Sacha;989949 Wrote:
[...]

I think it's the things that err on the side of a bit tender that have
suffered. Other things have flowered amazingly well and given a
terrific display. But the two plants I mentioned aren't toughies in the
same category as some. The Clematis isn't evergreen with everyone (or
so someone here told me a while ago) and the rose is known to be a bit
of a wimp in nasty weather. Its cousin R. banksiae lutescens did much
the same, though it didn't lose as much foliage. But it did lose quite
a bit, has regained it now but flowered really badly. But out of those
3 plants, 2 are on the front of the house and took the full blast of
the cold spring winds, which checked their growth in budding terms.
Other roses in the slightly more sheltered areas, like Gloire de Dijon,
Gertrude Jekyll, Seagull and Wedding Day flowered their little socks
off. But the almond trees also flowered very porly because just as
they were coming into flower, the cold spell started and checked them,
and they never really got going again.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-08-2013, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 22:19, kay wrote:
Sacha;989949 Wrote:
[...]

I would say I agree with kay. Up here in Edinburgh (where, of course,
winter has not been as cold as everywhere else, but we had the cold
spring), I had one of the best display for many plants.
Everything was of course a bit late, but I had wonderful bloom for
Clematis alpina in spring and now (small flowered - viticella type),
best ever display of Paeonies, Oriental Poppies, Pentstemons, Phlox.
The only think which seemed to follow your "growing but not flowering"
trend were the bearded irises.

Old 16-08-2013, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and recovered
from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis rehderiana was
looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves and grown quite a
bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this year. I imagine it's
taken all its strength just to survive and get new leaves. The Rosa
banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same. It put out a few
blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its strength.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I think the Clematis may yet surprise you, ours normally doesn't bud until
September but I will admit its behind where it normally would be at this
time of year.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 16-08-2013, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 10:40:00 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I do hope so - that's a cheery thought. As you know, it's one of my
favourites and I look forward to it. I'll try to peer at it a bit more
closely but as it's right at the back of the border, it's quite
difficult! I'm also looking for one to go along the rope/chain on the
lawn but don't want a white one, as the rose on there is white. I'd
also like it to be late flowering. With luck, it will eventually meet
up with C. Luccombe Park, so the two colours shouldn't swear at each
other too much! As someone has strimmed our C. texensis Princess
Diana to destruction on another rope, I had thought of using that but I
think the pink and yellow would be a bit icky together. Perhaps a blue
would be good there. Do you have any suggestions?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-08-2013, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:03:47 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this
year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new
leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its
strength.

Our Clematis 'Jackmanii' has been in full flower since July but none
of the others are anywhere near flowering. One that looks like
Clematis rehderiana was transplanted from our previous house has
survived the move and has grown a bit. It was Autumn when it flowered
last year.

Steve

Old 16-08-2013, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 12:29:29 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

[...]

C. rehderiana is an autumn flowerer, as Charlie said but it has put on
so little growth this year, that's what leads me to think it won't
flower. But live in hope! Usually by now, it's right up at the top of
our bedroom window but it's still hovering about much lower down. It
really did get a bashing, so I'm not surprised!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-08-2013, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 10:40:00 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Haven't we been through this before a month or so back? Didn't you mean
C. " Lambton Park"?!

As to C. rehderiana, I put one in at our new place a couple of months
ago and it has done well, climbing up a rambler rose. I am hoping that
it will flower next month; if so, it will be the first time I have ever
got one to flower.

--

Jeff
Old 16-08-2013, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 10:40:00 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know why that one won't stay in my head. Yes, sorry. No excuse
other than a bit of a stressy week! Our C. rehderiana is climbing up
the R. banksiae lutea and usually flowers really well and has a great
value in being on the late side, imo. The rose gives it a good strong
framework to clamber up and through.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com