Old 15-08-2013, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Information on Squirrel Buster bird feeders

Sorry if this is considered OT, but I hope that a number of people here
have them. The comments on them all sing their praises, except for size.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how big they are, as I am not
certain they would fit onto my bird table? I am sorely fed up with
thieving squirrels. TIA
Old 15-08-2013, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

Sorry if this is considered OT, but I hope that a number of people here
have them. The comments on them all sing their praises, except for size.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how big they are, as I am not
certain they would fit onto my bird table? I am sorely fed up with thieving
squirrels. TIA

Cheaper to get some cheap Chilli Powder and mix that with the seed, the
birds can't taste it but the squirrels can and leave the seeds alone.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-08-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 20:02, Jake wrote:

I then installed a bird-proof squirrel feeder on their route into the
garden. (bird-proof to stop birds choking on the larger whole stuff).
The squirrels quickly worked out how to get at their stuff and leave
the bird feeders alone now.

I use a feeder with a metal mesh. The squirrels soon give up when they
find it's not worth their while to try to nibble the peanuts through the
mesh (they can't bite through it).

Mind you, the local thug (aka great spotted woodpecker) now reigns
supreme when he decides he wants the peanuts. Heaven help any smaller
bird who tries to feed from it at the same time!

--

Jeff
Old 16-08-2013, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2013 22:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 15/08/2013 20:02, Jake wrote:

I then installed a bird-proof squirrel feeder on their route into the
garden. (bird-proof to stop birds choking on the larger whole stuff).
The squirrels quickly worked out how to get at their stuff and leave
the bird feeders alone now.

I use a feeder with a metal mesh. The squirrels soon give up when they
find it's not worth their while to try to nibble the peanuts through the
mesh (they can't bite through it).

Mind you, the local thug (aka great spotted woodpecker) now reigns
supreme when he decides he wants the peanuts. Heaven help any smaller
bird who tries to feed from it at the same time!

Today on one of my feeders which hangs horizontally there was a
stand-off between a young male G S Woodpecker and a Young Jay on
opposite sides of the feeder.
One would take a peck then glare at the other who would then take a peck
then they would both glare at each other for almost a minute then start
again, this went on for about 5 minutes till I magpie decided to drop in.
Then later, just after lunch the 2 young male G S Woodpeckers landed at
the same time on a feeder and spent about 20 seconds fencing with their
beaks and took off still fencing.
That's the problem, having the feeder only about 5ft from the window you
can spend a lot of time watching them quite close up, as well as having
several blue tits who wander along the window sill and watch me feeding.
David @ what was an almost dry and sunny Swansea bay, after heavy rain
early morning and cloud till almost 11am.
Old 18-08-2013, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/08/2013 20:02, Jake wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the help, particularly from Martin giving their size. Well I
have bitten the bullet and ordered them, so will see. As it seems the
squirrels quickly give up visiting them I would not expect many birds
heard being chopped off!

Old 29-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Mary Richards's Avatar
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
Sorry if this is considered OT, but I hope that a number of people here
have them. The comments on them all sing their praises, except for size.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how big they are, as I am not
certain they would fit onto my bird table? I am sorely fed up with
thieving squirrels. TIA
I have slowly created a backyard bird watching oasis for the past three years and since then I have been selling feeders too.

I know this one; Squirrel Stopper System is a little expensive but I really think it offers a great deal for the money.

It stands 8ft tall and can hold 8 different holders.