Old 16-08-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Remember when?

Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90
Old 16-08-2013, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2013 14:14, David Hill wrote:
Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

Don't people grow their own greens from seeds any more? The only time
I've bought plants (locally) is on the rare occasion my seeds have
failed to germinate or I've forgot to plant them.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 16-08-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
On 16/08/2013 14:14, David Hill wrote:
Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred
(For the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

Don't people grow their own greens from seeds any more? The only time
I've bought plants (locally) is on the rare occasion my seeds have
failed to germinate or I've forgot to plant them.

I do. Mind you, we only need a few plants of broccoli for two of us, but
a packet of seed lasts several seasons and still manages to germinate
well, it seems. The trays of ready grown plants I saw in the local
garden centres looked starved and pitiful things compared to mine, so it
made me feel like a proper gardener to have grown my own.

--
Sue

Old 16-08-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 12:14:57 +0000, David Hill said:

Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

I remember when a lot of things were sensibly priced but unfortunately,
wages were very low and so were expectations. Young people marrying
didn't *expect* to buy a house immediately but certainly expected to
rent for quite a while. Nor did they 'put off' having a baby until
they'd bought a house and furnished it completely, as some do now. Did
employers pay social security stamps back in e.g. the 50s? I just don't
know but they have to pay all those things now and, imo, it's essential
but of course, there's a knock-on effect. Now, things have gone full
circle and I know some young living and working in this area who never
expect to own their own homes because property here is just so
expensive. Food prices have roared upwards and e.g their own cooked,
sliced ham is £17 per kg from our local butcher because the price of
pig food has gone up, for example. There's a famous gardener whose
prices for absolutely everything leave us simply breathless and we can
guarantee that a large amount of that goes in advertising and glossy
catalogues. The power of telly…!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-08-2013, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2013 19:28, sacha wrote:
On 2013-08-16 12:14:57 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Yes National Insurance "Stamp" was paid by both employer and employee,
but in those days you got no benefit till you had 26 stamps on your card.
Also you bought most plants at the right time and bare rooted, it was
introducing so much container grown, and much of it from outside the UK
that both pushed up prices and brought a lot of pests and diseases
into this country and spread to so many domestic gardens.
Though you did grow a range of rockery and herbaceous plants "Pot
Grown", and you bought them from Nurseries.

Old 16-08-2013, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David I think you will find that Blaby Roses in Leicester were the first to
sell pot grown Roses and that was way back when we bought out first house in
August 1960

Mike

Old 16-08-2013, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2013 19:51, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Savcha asked about the 50's and that is the era I was talking about.
Old 16-08-2013, 10:36 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

I remember when a lot of things were sensibly priced but unfortunately,
wages were very low and so were expectations. Young people marrying
didn't *expect* to buy a house immediately but certainly expected to
rent for quite a while.
On the other hand, rents were lower, indeed often they were controlled. Nowadays mortgage repayments ca be lower than what you pay in rent.

But the big difference is that once 100% mortgages appeared in the 80s, people started expecting to move in and buy new furniture, not live for the first few years on hand-me-downs and makeshifts.
__________________
Old 16-08-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-16 12:14:57 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

I do remember that so much was autumn planted, probably from my
maternal grandfather. But he grew all his own veg etc. though I don't
recall a greenhouse. I do remember a large sieve he used to make
compost for seeds, I suppose? Most of his garden was fruit & veg - not
a big garden, though bigger than some modern plots - and the 'front
garden' was paved with a flower bed in the middle and aubrietia growing
out of the wall. My paternal grandparents had bigger gardens, one of
them being a Rectory and that was also producing a lot of veg and
fruit. There was a lovely old lean-to greenhouse with a big grapevine
in it. One of my earliest memories is being taken to see a blackbird's
nest in the brambles trained against a wall, from which my grandmother
made bramble jelly, as my mother did later in another house. My
personal recollection was that everyone with a bit of ground grew their
own food as much as possible. I just wish I remembered more detail.
Everything was still rationed when I was little so providing as much as
you could from your own resources must have been terribly important
then. My grandmother shook Jersey milk 'topping' up in a jar to produce
butter and it took her hours to do it, to supplement the butter ration.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-08-2013, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

In my local Garden Nursery they are asking £2.99 for 9 small leek
plants.
Diabolical!

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential

Old 17-08-2013, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
m...

In my local Garden Nursery they are asking £2.99 for 9 small leek
plants.
Diabolical!

Peter

80p for twenty in Nantwich Market recently (:-)
Been busy planting them up in grow bags in the greenhouse
as well as in the veg. plot.

Pete

Old 17-08-2013, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in news:b76jdvFjhqnU1
@mid.individual.net:

Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

Robbery. Should be made illegal.

Baz
Old 17-08-2013, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-17 06:56:38 +0000, Peter James said:

David Hill wrote:

Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

In my local Garden Nursery they are asking £2.99 for 9 small leek
plants.
Diabolical!

Peter

£3.99 for 12 organic veg plants is what I saw today.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-08-2013, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

I can remember buying spuds for my mother, in the shop someone asked how
many pounds for 6d (old money) The reply was 5lbs.!!!!

Bill

Old 19-08-2013, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2013 21:07, Bill Grey wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
Do you remember when veg [plants were sensibly priced.
I remember when cabbage plants would be less than 10 bob a hundred (For
the youngsters 10/- or in todays money 50p)
saw this special offer today
Autumn & Winter Brassica Collection-Plants x 64
Tasty & Healthy Winter Crops ... More
Pack Quantity: 64 Plants, 16 of each variety
Items Total £16.95 Postage & Packing £4.95 Total £21.90

I can remember buying spuds for my mother, in the shop someone asked how
many pounds for 6d (old money) The reply was 5lbs.!!!!

Bill

I remember we sold spuds for 10/- a sack( 56lbs) for years till we went
decimal.
David @ a rain free side of Swansea bay