Old 17-08-2013, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning electric Flymo with pressure washer - Y/N?

Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to
clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it
sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture
underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?
--
David

Old 17-08-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to
clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it
sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture
underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

There will be minimal protection based on my experience of flymo etc.
Remove the fan and soak in water clean that off and keep it balanced and
just moisten the underside of the skirt and a narrow paint scraper or
putty knife can be used to get the worst off.
Old 17-08-2013, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to
clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it
sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture
underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

As long as you're careful not to spray the motor and avoid spraying near
the motor shaft (high pressure washers can force water into bearings) I
can't see there being a big problem.

Tim
Old 17-08-2013, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...

Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo,

Just let the crud get dry (turn Flymo upside down in the sun)
then insert the corner of a paint scraper to open a starting hole in
the crud; once you can slide the blade between the plastic and the dried
buildup, it's easy to ping off in large chunks.

Janet

Old 17-08-2013, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Well, I'd not say you should use the highest pressure on old plastic as its
very brittle. As long as you do not get it in the aire inlets, usually
protected by foam, you will probably get away with it. There should not be
any ingress from the bottom, unless they hav changed, being visually
impaired I've mown into puddles and all sorts in the past! The bloomin thing
still carried on. However really and I'm sure somone will point this out one
should really clean the crud after use when its soft and remove it from
around the main bearing as well, though I suppose this might remove some of
the grease there., brobably not as much as a pressure washer might do!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old 17-08-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

I wouldn't advise it. Bear in mind that the mower is usually bringing in
dry air from the top and forcing it downwards. It will be vulnerable to
water going the other way. High pressure water gives of a lot of mist.

I dream of inventing some sort of spray that will prevent the grass from
sticking - but I guess many of the owners wouln't give a damn.
Old 17-08-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 09:38, Lobster wrote:
Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer..

Nah, Angle Grinder...

--
Adrian C

Old 17-08-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 09:38:30 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to
clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it
sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture
underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

iv'e been using a small garden trowel and pointing trowel to clean off my flymo 330. i clean it
every time i use it or it builds up and becomes harder to remove the dried grass.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Old 17-08-2013, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2013 09:38, Lobster wrote:
Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to
clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it
sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture
underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

Well, that's about 5:2 against, by my reckoning! Will have to have a
think about it...

FYI I always do scrape it down after use - does anyone not do so? IME
if you don't, it either sets like concrete and/or gets covered with
white mould which is probably not much good to my lungs or the contents
of my garden shed...

The machine must be about 10 years old, and in a bit of a state, and
last weekend I was just thinking about giving it a good going over for
once; that's all.
--
David
Old 17-08-2013, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 17/08/2013 09:38, Lobster wrote:
Looking at the years of buildup of crud underneath the 'skirt' of my
electric Flymo, I was just wondering whether using a pressure washer to
clean it down occasionally would be as potentially foolhardy as it
sounds, or whether the electrics are IP protected from moisture
underneath anyway? I've never dismantled one to find out - anyone know?

Well, that's about 5:2 against, by my reckoning! Will have to have a think about it...

FYI I always do scrape it down after use - does anyone not do so?

Once every five years whether it needs it or not. ;-). Mine isn't a hover
mower however.

Tim