Old 21-08-2013, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn fruiting raspberries

"Peter James" wrote

My autumn fruiting raspberries are now in their fourth year and their
cropping level is appalling. The last three years saw no crop apart
from literally four or five fruit. This year maybe a cup full of
berries from eight canes.

Each winter I cut the canes down to the ground in February and mulch
them with compost. I feed them with chicken pellets twice a year.

My inclination is to dig them up and to replace them. On another forum
someone suggested leaving the canes until next year and to treat them as
a summer fruiting variety as it's not unknown for nurserymen to make a
mistake when bundling up fruit canes for dispatch. And yet they do
fruit in the autumn but only a very little. So I'm not sure this is a
good suggestion to follow.

I would be grateful for any thoughts from the regulars on this news
group.

Perhaps they have a virus infection, not uncommon.
Strange but whilst as a consumer I like raspberries as an allotment gardener
I hate the things. So many times I see them left to run riot, take over
whole plots and worse, neighbours plots. We are fighting a constant battle
against them from a neighbours plot at the moment. Worse than couch grass
because I can't spray them without killing his plants too.
How do you all keep them where they are planted?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-08-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:44:35 GMT, Baz wrote:

Ditto, but so what? Doesn't bother anyone?

Baz

If I appeared to multi-post, I'd appreciate being told. Usually the
cause is a simple blip somewhere but occasionally it can indicate a
comms problem and knowing would lead to me keeping an eye on things
just in case.

On a different topic, Baz, the Victoria plum put on lots of healthy
growth but no blossom and hence no plums. I netted it last year after
reading on the group that birds would go for the buds. Have you had
better luck?

The Braeburn apple and pear trees are going as neither is growing well
and yet again produced no blossom at all. Other apple trees blossomed
well but I think there were too few pollinators around at the right
time. The best performer (4 fruits) is an unnamed tree that came from
somewhere last year as a foot high freebie but is about a metre high
already!

No fruit on the Vic. plums, one tree has a couple of blossom but no fruit.

The first one I planted and gave up on 'cos I thought it was dying has put
on lots of growth. I have had to prune lots away, which is difficult, as
you know, with foliage clouding the job. Wish I could prune them in autumn,
when the foliage has dropped. We will see then what a mess I have made!

I have found/made room in the garden for an eating apple tree. I would like
the sweetest, tastiest variety. Do you have any reccommenations? I am
thinking Braeburn or Gala, though not exactly what I have in mind, judging
them on supermarket purchases. I have a decent budget now, and will pay
good money for the right tree.

Baz
Old 21-08-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:
On a different topic, Baz, the Victoria plum put on lots of healthy
growth but no blossom and hence no plums. I netted it last year after
reading on the group that birds would go for the buds. Have you had
better luck?

Jake - sounds like ours. And the leaves are scrunchy and deformed. :-(
(It's only a couple of years old, it's never had a good crop so far)

Did spot my first ripe fig yesterday, though!
Old 21-08-2013, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-20 22:14:40 +0100, David Hill said:

On 19/08/2013 11:39, echinosum wrote:

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;990160']they are no match for my Summer ones, either in quantity or
quality. I wonder if I should have thinned out the canes during the
Summer, as it is a veritable jungle. If they are as poor next year I
will give up and remove them.

I have the opposite experience. Autumn raspberries are copious, large,
dark and worm free. They are grown on thin stony soil and I give them
nothing but the occasional scattering of wood ash, and water them only
in desperately dry conditions. You are supposed to replant raspberries
every 10 years or so, but I bought these about 25 years ago and have
never renewed them, even took some with me when I moved house. They did
even better in the clay-and-flints-and-utter-neglect of my previous
house.

I think you need to check your computer it's still sending out the same item

I wonder if it's a Garden Banter problem?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-08-2013, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

I also emailed them last night

Old 22-08-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Broadback[_3_ Wrote:
;990160']they are no match for my Summer ones, either in quantity or
quality. I wonder if I should have thinned out the canes during the
Summer, as it is a veritable jungle. If they are as poor next year I
will give up and remove them.

I have the opposite experience. Autumn raspberries are copious, large,
dark and worm free. They are grown on thin stony soil and I give them
nothing but the occasional scattering of wood ash, and water them only
in desperately dry conditions. You are supposed to replant raspberries
every 10 years or so, but I bought these about 25 years ago and have
never renewed them, even took some with me when I moved house. They did
even better in the clay-and-flints-and-utter-neglect of my previous
house.

This makes the 5th copy.

I now have 8 copies. As they have different IDs and send times, it
looks like echinosum's PC (or whatever device used) is resending them
at about 20 second intervals whilst the Usenet client is connected.
This points to an issue with the packet acknowledgement (what tells
the sending device that the transmission has been received ok) and is
most likely to be something on the PC (firewall or NIC).

Whilst it may be a one-off blip, if there is an ongoing issue it could
impact particularly on emails which might well disappear into the
ether (because the PC would keep sending the same parts of the email
and the receiving system would be discarding them and eventually
deciding that the message was incomplete and so ignoring it). It's
happened with two different Usenet posts so may not be a simple blip.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 22-08-2013, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2013 11:32, Jake wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:18:37 +0200, Martin wrote:

I just downloaded all the urg messages from the last two days. I still
only received one copy. Maybe the news server fixed the problem.

Interesting - I now have 8 copies. We use the same server
(News.Individual.Net) and the same client (Agent). The server won't
identify them as duplicates as they have different IDs. times etc. and
there's no Agent function I know of which will delete any multiple
copies like this.

Luck you
My tally is now up to 13 copies.and no way I know of blocking
Old 22-08-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping Echinosum URGENT was Autumn fruiting raspberries

"Janet" wrote ...

I now have 8 copies. As they have different IDs and send times, it
looks like echinosum's PC (or whatever device used) is resending them
at about 20 second intervals whilst the Usenet client is connected.

Since there's been no response from Echinosum I suspect that having
replied to the thread s/he lost interest, stopped reading it and hasn't
seen the duplicated posts or the comments on them.

Well s/he has now :-)

S/he uses Gardenbanter so it may be their problem. The multiple posts all
come up with the same time on my PC.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-08-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2013 17:13, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet" wrote ...

I now have 8 copies. As they have different IDs and send times, it
looks like echinosum's PC (or whatever device used) is resending them
at about 20 second intervals whilst the Usenet client is connected.

Since there's been no response from Echinosum I suspect that having
replied to the thread s/he lost interest, stopped reading it and hasn't
seen the duplicated posts or the comments on them.

Well s/he has now :-)

S/he uses Gardenbanter so it may be their problem. The multiple posts
all come up with the same time on my PC.

Yes, I've had 13 of them, I have contacted Garden banter web master
twice now, no response.
Tried forwarding the messages back to Echinosum but bounced, no such address

Old 23-08-2013, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 09:10, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:10:10 +0100, Jake
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:48:57 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:39:37 +0100, Jake
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:38:08 +0200, Martin wrote:

I've just downloaded all the messages from the last five days and
don't find any copies now. If I use Thunderbird I have six copies.

Might be the way Agent counts the headers but why your setup should be
different to mine is a mystery.Anyhow .....

Nah! Nah! Still ahead of you - just got number 9!

Kill @gardenbanter :-)

That would also kill Kay. And kill filling E would mean I'd be
unlikely to find out if there was a solution.

I've not missed anything by kill filing garden banter. It's possible
to write a regular expression that allows excluding Kay from the Kill
process.

Followed directions for thunderbird blocking and this morning 2 more in
my in box for this thread, that makes 15
Old 23-08-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2013 16:32, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:46:19 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 22/08/2013 11:32, Jake wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:18:37 +0200, Martin wrote:

I just downloaded all the urg messages from the last two days. I still
only received one copy. Maybe the news server fixed the problem.

Interesting - I now have 8 copies. We use the same server
(News.Individual.Net) and the same client (Agent). The server won't
identify them as duplicates as they have different IDs. times etc. and
there's no Agent function I know of which will delete any multiple
copies like this.

Luck you
My tally is now up to 13 copies.and no way I know of blocking

Thunderbird allows you to delete existing messages and as they arrive.

Tools
Message filters
New
From to,cc
contains

Delete message

or something like that.

19 for me to date, I expect that number to increase, and go on,and on,
and on. Wish I had never posted the question now, though I have had
satisfactory replies, his was OK as well.
Old 23-08-2013, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 11:02, Martin wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:38:08 +0200, Martin wrote:

I've just downloaded all the messages from the last five days and
don't find any copies now. If I use Thunderbird I have six copies.

Might be the way Agent counts the headers but why your setup should be
different to mine is a mystery.Anyhow .....

Nah! Nah! Still ahead of you - just got number 9!

Kill @gardenbanter :-)

That would also kill Kay. And kill filling E would mean I'd be
unlikely to find out if there was a solution.

I've not missed anything by kill filing garden banter. It's possible
to write a regular expression that allows excluding Kay from the Kill
process.

Followed directions for thunderbird blocking and this morning 2 more in
my in box for this thread, that makes 15

It worked and is still working for me. Did you specify that the filter
was for urg? I didn't the first time round. I think you have to have
the urg folder open when you create the filter.

I had urg open when I did it, I've now added gardenbanter to the file
David @ an overcast but warm side of Swansea Bay
Old 23-08-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 22/08/2013 11:32, Jake wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:18:37 +0200, Martin wrote:

I just downloaded all the urg messages from the last two days. I still
only received one copy. Maybe the news server fixed the problem.

Interesting - I now have 8 copies. We use the same server
(News.Individual.Net) and the same client (Agent). The server won't
identify them as duplicates as they have different IDs. times etc. and
there's no Agent function I know of which will delete any multiple
copies like this.

Luck you
My tally is now up to 13 copies.and no way I know of blocking

Thunderbird allows you to delete existing messages and as they arrive.

Tools
Message filters
New
From to,cc
contains

Delete message

or something like that.

19 for me to date, I expect that number to increase, and go on,and on,
and on. Wish I had never posted the question now, though I have had
satisfactory replies, his was OK as well.

Can't you ask Gardenbanter to remove the thread?
Old 23-08-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 13:31, Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If you "run filters" does it delete all the garden banter messages?

Only done it this morning, hard to tell, if you get nothing, then how do
you know if anything has been posted?