Old 25-08-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn fruiting raspberries

Victoria Conlan wrote in news:b7jihtFbq6eU2
@mid.individual.net:

Jake wrote:
On a different topic, Baz, the Victoria plum put on lots of healthy
growth but no blossom and hence no plums. I netted it last year after
reading on the group that birds would go for the buds. Have you had
better luck?

Jake - sounds like ours. And the leaves are scrunchy and deformed. :-(
(It's only a couple of years old, it's never had a good crop so far)

Has it got greenfly?

Baz
Old 25-08-2013, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:

Jake wrote:
On a different topic, Baz, the Victoria plum put on lots of healthy
growth but no blossom and hence no plums. I netted it last year after
reading on the group that birds would go for the buds. Have you had
better luck?

Back to Raspberries, someone mentioned smooth stems or spiny stems. I
went out to inspect my pot-grown Autumn ones; they have spiny stems.
I've just watched this morning's Beechgrove programme where they were
reporting on raspberries in polytunnels; summer fruiting? They said
that all new varieties are bred with no spines!

Pam in Bristol
Old 25-08-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:
On a different topic, Baz, the Victoria plum put on lots of healthy
growth but no blossom and hence no plums. I netted it last year after
reading on the group that birds would go for the buds. Have you had
better luck?

Back to Raspberries, someone mentioned smooth stems or spiny stems. I
went out to inspect my pot-grown Autumn ones; they have spiny stems.
I've just watched this morning's Beechgrove programme where they were
reporting on raspberries in polytunnels; summer fruiting? They said
that all new varieties are bred with no spines!

Pam in Bristol

That may be true of Summer fruiting, but I don't think it is of Autumn
fruiting.
Old 25-08-2013, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:
Jake - sounds like ours. And the leaves are scrunchy and deformed. :-(
(It's only a couple of years old, it's never had a good crop so far)

Has it got greenfly?

Nick says it's got something, but they're not greenfly. Apparently it's a
pear disease. Don't ask me how that works. He says the leaves go all red
and blistered, and there's some kind of insect causing it.
Old 25-08-2013, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/08/2013 20:33, Victoria Conlan wrote:
Baz wrote:
Jake - sounds like ours. And the leaves are scrunchy and deformed. :-(
(It's only a couple of years old, it's never had a good crop so far)

Has it got greenfly?

Nick says it's got something, but they're not greenfly. Apparently it's a
pear disease. Don't ask me how that works. He says the leaves go all red
and blistered, and there's some kind of insect causing it.

Could it be pear leaf blister mite?
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=661

Old 26-08-2013, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
Nick says it's got something, but they're not greenfly. Apparently it's a
pear disease. Don't ask me how that works. He says the leaves go all red
and blistered, and there's some kind of insect causing it.

Could it be pear leaf blister mite?
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=661

That may be what Nick thinks it is, but it doesn't look like it is
something carried on plum trees. *shrug*

Old 26-08-2013, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
Could it be pear leaf blister mite?
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=661

Probably more likely to be
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=681
Old 26-08-2013, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Not into multi-tasking Jake?

"Jake" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:49:04 +0100, Jake
wrote:

Ota be honest. Baz. I've had greenfly and the like in the past but
never an inkling on the raspberries.

Please ignore last post. Mix of typos and reading two threads at once
and getting confused.

--
Cheers, Jake

Old 27-08-2013, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:
Please ignore last post. Mix of typos and reading two threads at once
and getting confused.

It was fair enough, given the subject line. ;-)