Old 21-08-2013, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good reliable source of bird seed

On 2013-08-21 19:56:23 +0100, Jake said:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:01:04 +0100, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

Last month we had a couple of rare visitors - a pair of bullfinches. Mostly
the male only showed up and he would only stay for 5 or 10 minutes.

His first choice of food was whole black sunflower seeds, with just an
occasional visit to the SF hearts. Maybe the coats on the BSFs keep the
inards fresher? The bullfinch has a powerful beak, which helps. However,
goldfinches prefer the hearts and will only move to the nyjer when the
hearts are finished.

It's fascinating in a way that in different parts of the country,
birds seem to like different foods. Here bull, gold, green finches all
go for the hearts. Nyger just wasn't touched. There's even a spotted
woodpecker that prefers the hearts on the table to pecking at the
peanuts in the feeder (though other woodpeckers prefer the pecking).

Food doesn't stay long enough to go "unfresh". The feeders and the
table are cleared each day. In the summer, they only get replenished
once a day (my wallet can't take more). In winter, it's at least twice
daily.

Nothing eats Niger here, apart from squirrels, perhaps. A goodish sized
row of sunflowers have been planted in the field, so I'll be interested
to see what goes for the seed.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-08-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 19:56:23 +0100, Jake said:

It's fascinating in a way that in different parts of the country,
birds seem to like different foods. Here bull, gold, green finches all
go for the hearts. Nyger just wasn't touched. There's even a spotted
woodpecker that prefers the hearts on the table to pecking at the
peanuts in the feeder (though other woodpeckers prefer the pecking).

Food doesn't stay long enough to go "unfresh". The feeders and the
table are cleared each day. In the summer, they only get replenished
once a day (my wallet can't take more). In winter, it's at least twice
daily.

Nothing eats Niger here, apart from squirrels, perhaps. A goodish sized row
of sunflowers have been planted in the field, so I'll be interested to see
what goes for the seed.

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and goldfinches.

Old 22-08-2013, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 19:56:23 +0100, Jake said:

[...]

We so rarely seem to see those here so maybe it will attract them. And
I think I heard and just caught a glimpse of the spotted flycatcher the
other day. The second time, Ray was with me and he agreed that's
probably what it is.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-08-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 22:29:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

A goodish sized
row of sunflowers have been planted in the field, so I'll be interested
to see what goes for the seed.

The last time I grew a few sunflowers, a squirrel first chewed great
chunks off the seedhead, then chewed through the stalk and carried
away what was left of the head.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 23-08-2013, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/08/2013 22:41, Bertie Doe wrote:

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and
goldfinches.

I was there this summer - and was rather surprised to see a field full
of cannabis plants! (on the 'hillside' as you walk along the path from
the rain forest, away from the biomes). I guess they were hemp, but
there was no doubting the family. There were a lot of them too - but no
mention anywhere that I could see as to why they were planted.

Anyone know?

--
regards
andy

Old 23-08-2013, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 11:25, News wrote:
On 21/08/2013 22:41, Bertie Doe wrote:

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and
goldfinches.

I was there this summer - and was rather surprised to see a field full
of cannabis plants! (on the 'hillside' as you walk along the path from
the rain forest, away from the biomes). I guess they were hemp, but
there was no doubting the family. There were a lot of them too - but no
mention anywhere that I could see as to why they were planted.

Anyone know?

Hemp can be grown under licence for fibre.
Remember hempen rope?
Old 23-08-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 23/08/2013 11:25, News wrote:
On 21/08/2013 22:41, Bertie Doe wrote:

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and
goldfinches.

I was there this summer - and was rather surprised to see a field full
of cannabis plants! (on the 'hillside' as you walk along the path from
the rain forest, away from the biomes). I guess they were hemp, but
there was no doubting the family. There were a lot of them too - but no
mention anywhere that I could see as to why they were planted.

Anyone know?

Hemp can be grown under licence for fibre.
Remember hempen rope?

As popularised by Jack Ketch :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2013, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 21/08/2013 22:41, Bertie Doe wrote:

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and
goldfinches.

I was there this summer - and was rather surprised to see a field full
of cannabis plants! (on the 'hillside' as you walk along the path from
the rain forest, away from the biomes). I guess they were hemp, but
there was no doubting the family. There were a lot of them too - but no
mention anywhere that I could see as to why they were planted.

Anyone know?

google is your friend

http://www.hemptechnology.co.uk/growing.htm

Please view our Products Section for the latest information on what we
supply - Hemp fibre for automotive, insulation and paper industries,
BioMat hemp matting for horticulture and landscaping, hemp based
construction products, and Hemcore, Rapport and Flaxcore Bedding for
animals. "

"The term Industrial Hemp is applied to varieties of Cannabis sativa
that have been specifically produced by plant breeders to have a THC
level (tetra hydro cannabinnol) of 0.2% or less. THC is the psychoactive
drug in Cannabis, which in a marijuana plant would be nearer 10 ? 15%.
However, visually hemp plants are identical to illicitly grown cannabis
plants and can therefore be attractive to drug dealers/users despite the
very low THC content. We operate a licencing system as an agent of the
Home Office whereby growers apply to Hemp Technology and we consider
each application."

Janet
Old 23-08-2013, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 13:33, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:49:01 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 23/08/2013 11:25, News wrote:
On 21/08/2013 22:41, Bertie Doe wrote:

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and
goldfinches.

I was there this summer - and was rather surprised to see a field full
of cannabis plants! (on the 'hillside' as you walk along the path from
the rain forest, away from the biomes). I guess they were hemp, but
there was no doubting the family. There were a lot of them too - but no
mention anywhere that I could see as to why they were planted.

Anyone know?

Hemp can be grown under licence for fibre.
Remember hempen rope?

and under licence for medical purposes, but not privately.

I think the stuff they grow by the field full would do very little
unless you stood in the smoke from a bonfire of it.
Old 23-08-2013, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 13:10, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 21/08/2013 22:41, Bertie Doe wrote:

The Eden Project plants an allotment sized area with sunflowers. We were
there last September and it was mainly being eaten by green and
goldfinches.

I was there this summer - and was rather surprised to see a field full
of cannabis plants! (on the 'hillside' as you walk along the path from
the rain forest, away from the biomes). I guess they were hemp, but
there was no doubting the family. There were a lot of them too - but no
mention anywhere that I could see as to why they were planted.

Anyone know?

google is your friend

http://www.hemptechnology.co.uk/growing.htm

I know what hemp is, how its grown and what its used for. And I know
what the difference is between it and smokeable marijuana.

What I wondered was whether anyone knew why they were growing a field
full of it at the Eden Project. Most things they have there a fairly
detailed description and explanation for the 'exhibit'. There was
nothing for the cannabis field. (And it did smell a bit stronger than
standard hemp - but I'm sure it could only have been hemp - there wasn't
any security around it, so it couldn't have been licenced marijuana
cultivation.

--
regards
andy

Old 23-08-2013, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This is explanatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvLxcZw6Cg
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-08-2013, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-23 15:16:42 +0000, News said:

[...]

I should have added to my earlier post that, while some people do not
always agree that Eden's aims are clear, some of them are certainly to
educate people about plants, nature, the use of plants, the
interdependency of species and so forth. Showing what hemp is used for
is probably apart of that educational exhibition and the part hemp
plays in maritime history, for example.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-08-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Like I said about Chatham Dockyard and the Rope Walk there :-))

Have you been there and seen rope being manufactured?

Mike

Old 27-08-2013, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/08/2013 17:26, Sacha wrote:

This is explanatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvLxcZw6Cg

Ah - thanks for that

--
regards
andy

Looking for Reliable Source for Killi Benign Vanilla Ponds 8 04-01-2005 08:22 PM
Looking for Reliable Source for Killi Benign Vanilla Ponds 0 02-01-2005 09:18 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Reliable nurseries Undine Roses 2 26-01-2003 01:14 AM
reliable rose nursery Undine Gardening 0 25-01-2003 05:07 PM