Old 19-08-2013, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hose drums

I'm fed up with struggling with the hose. I'm sure it kinks to resist my
watering. Do any of you use drums on wheels to store your hoses? If so
which ones are best?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 19-08-2013, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/13 08:52, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:37:31 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

I'm fed up with struggling with the hose. I'm sure it kinks to resist my
watering. Do any of you use drums on wheels to store your hoses? If so
which ones are best?

Gardena is the best we have.

Martin, no wheels and expensive!

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 19-08-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2013 08:37, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I'm fed up with struggling with the hose. I'm sure it kinks to resist my
watering. Do any of you use drums on wheels to store your hoses? If so
which ones are best?

I fitted one of these a couple of months ago (I already had a 20m hose):
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-mount...capacity/78496

Despite the earlier reviews, it seems OK. The main problem I have found
is that now and again the hose catches on the nut holding the handle
when I pull it to unwind. A domed nut should solve that problem.

All plastic hoses will eventually kink unless they have a spring-type
liner (like those used on showers). Some are more resistant than
others, but they will weaken with use.

--

Jeff
Old 19-08-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have a Hozelock, not portable but fixed on the house wall over the tap
and we just pull out the amount of hose we want, BUT be careful what you
buy, we have a very long garden and the 'standard' hose would not be long
enough, so we bought 'double length', that 'just' fits on the drum :-))

Had it about 20 years no problems

Mike

Old 19-08-2013, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:37:31 +0100, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I'm fed up with struggling with the hose. I'm sure it kinks to resist my
watering. Do any of you use drums on wheels to store your hoses? If so
which ones are best?

How long a hose?

Up to 20 m or so just learn how to hand coil it properly. Longer is
probably best dealt with by "figure of eighting" it on the ground.
Kinks come from embedded twists in the hose, coiled properly or fig
of 8'd there are no embedded twists.

Couple of cable coiling videos to show the correct way to coil
things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbYyaUY5Sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwwB29uQRg

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-08-2013, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I'm fed up with struggling with the hose. I'm sure it kinks to resist my
watering. Do any of you use drums on wheels to store your hoses? If so
which ones are best?

Hugh

I've got one for sale if you or anyone else are interested. Hozelock type,
thirty metres long I think.
Ragnar.
Altrincham

Old 19-08-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:57:08 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

What about those stretchy blue ones advertised everywhere?

There was a review in a recent Amateur Gardening. Apparently you need
really good water pressure which sort of rules one out for me
(anything like a timer is enough to reduce things to a trickle here).

I use a thin version of the yellow gas piping as my hose. Found a drum
20 years ago in an end-of-line pile at a wholesaler. Can't kink or
twist it however hard I try! Only downside is that if a Hozelock
fitting breaks, I end up cutting half an inch of hose off with a
hacksaw and then spending half an hour easing the new fitting on
without breaking those "claws".

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 19-08-2013, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

What about those stretchy blue ones advertised everywhere?

There was a review in a recent Amateur Gardening. Apparently you need
really good water pressure which sort of rules one out for me
(anything like a timer is enough to reduce things to a trickle here).

The water pressure in my garden is not very good but the blue XHose
works fine.

Steve

Old 19-08-2013, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote in news:b7e09sF67bsU1
@mid.individual.net:

I'm fed up with struggling with the hose. I'm sure it kinks to resist my
watering. Do any of you use drums on wheels to store your hoses? If so
which ones are best?

Hugh

I use rubber hose and it tends not to kink. When it does kink(very, very
rarely) it does not crease. A quick shake and it's gone. It NEVER kinks
with water running through.

http://tinyurl.com/l9gcdp8

Make your own system with a drum and brass fittings of your choice.

It works out a bit pricey but you will not get kinks, and the hose itself
will last for a very long time. Decades.

Baz