GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cuttings and bulbs not flowering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208110-cuttings-bulbs-not-flowering.html)

kerrygirl 24-08-2013 10:25 PM

Cuttings and bulbs not flowering

About 3yrs ago I took cuttings from a hydrangea, they are now quite big but have never flowered, have I done something wrong? I also sat gladiola bulbs last year and they also haven't flowered. I need help and advice please.

On the subject of taking cuttings, I cover them with a plastic bag, has anyone any idea how to keep the bag up off the foliage?

stuart noble 25-08-2013 10:10 AM

Cuttings and bulbs not flowering

On 25/08/2013 08:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 23:25:13 +0200, kerrygirl
wrote:

About 3yrs ago I took cuttings from a hydrangea, they are now quite big
but have never flowered, have I done something wrong? I also sat
gladiola bulbs last year and they also haven't flowered. I need help and
advice please.

IME it takes a couple of years for hydrangea cuttings to get to a
flowering size. Remember that they only flower on old wood, so when
they do get into a flowering rhythm, don't be tempted to prune them
heavily in the autumn; cut out maybe just one third of the old stems
but leave at least half to flower next year.

On the subject of taking cuttings, I cover them with a plastic bag, has
anyone any idea how to keep the bag up off the foliage?

Assuming you have your cuttings in pots, make U-shaped wire hoops from
an old coat hanger or galvanised wire and push the ends down the sides
of the pot to support the polythene bag. I use two hoops at
right-angles. Alternatively, use a large fizzy-pop bottle with the
bottom cut off, to fit over the pot so you don't need to use a bag,
but this does limit the size of pot you can use. The bigger the
pop-bottle, the better.

I hang sandwich bags on hooks