Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Registered User

Default Can you identify this autumn flowering tree?

I saw this in someone's garden today and was seriously impressed.

I thought it might be a cherry but the leaves are not particularly cherry-like, and it's too early for the Autumnalis variety.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Can you identify this autumn flowering tree?-unknown_tree.jpg
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Eucryphia x nymansayensis and in all probability it is the cv. 'Nymansay'.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-06 07:23:16 +0100, Dave Poole said:

Eucryphia x nymansayensis and in all probability it is the cv. 'Nymansay'.

I wouldn't definitively call it autumn flowering, though because here
it was flowering a few weeks ago and now is completely over. I suppose
it must depend a great deal on which part of UK you live in. It's
certainly a big bee attractant, ours was absolutely covered in them for
days on end.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David56802 View Post
I saw this in someone's garden today and was seriously impressed.

I thought it might be a cherry but the leaves are not particularly cherry-like, and it's too early for the Autumnalis variety.

Any ideas?
I'd go for Eucryphia spp. (probably nymansensis) It would have been beautifully fragrant if you could have got a sniff !!!
regards, Lannerman.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
I'd go for Eucryphia spp. (probably nymansensis) It would have been beautifully fragrant if you could have got a sniff !!!
regards, Lannerman.
Thank you very much for the ID.

It's a very beautiful small tree, really stands out at this time of year, and no doubt would be very fragrant, if I could smell it!