Old 19-08-2013, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Crickets & grasshoppers

For some reason, this year we've had 3 grasshoppers and two crickets in
the house. One cricket was downstairs, the other dead in a bathroom
upstairs and the grasshoppers all in our bedroom. The crickets are the
big bush crickets and the grasshoppers are a beautiful pale green, like
tiny pieces of jade. We have loads of brown grasshoppers in the field
but the green ones are seen much less often. Why they want to get into
the house, heaven only knows! Is anyone else experiencing this?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-08-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in news:b7emg6FavnvU1
@mid.individual.net:

For some reason, this year we've had 3 grasshoppers and two crickets in
the house. One cricket was downstairs, the other dead in a bathroom
upstairs and the grasshoppers all in our bedroom. The crickets are the
big bush crickets and the grasshoppers are a beautiful pale green, like
tiny pieces of jade. We have loads of brown grasshoppers in the field
but the green ones are seen much less often. Why they want to get into
the house, heaven only knows! Is anyone else experiencing this?

I don't know if they can see in colours but if I wear my sandy boots some
seem to stick to them.

Baz
Old 20-08-2013, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/19/2013 9:56 AM, Sacha wrote:
For some reason, this year we've had 3 grasshoppers and two crickets in
the house. One cricket was downstairs, the other dead in a bathroom
upstairs and the grasshoppers all in our bedroom. The crickets are the
big bush crickets and the grasshoppers are a beautiful pale green, like
tiny pieces of jade. We have loads of brown grasshoppers in the field
but the green ones are seen much less often. Why they want to get into
the house, heaven only knows! Is anyone else experiencing this?

I've not had that problem in Scotland, but our place in NJ has a yearly
invasion of dark, almost black, crickets.
Old 22-08-2013, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2013 14:56, Sacha wrote:
For some reason, this year we've had 3 grasshoppers and two crickets in
the house. One cricket was downstairs, the other dead in a bathroom
upstairs and the grasshoppers all in our bedroom. The crickets are the
big bush crickets and the grasshoppers are a beautiful pale green, like
tiny pieces of jade. We have loads of brown grasshoppers in the field
but the green ones are seen much less often. Why they want to get into
the house, heaven only knows! Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have seen several bright green grasshoppers with yellow markings.
Very attractive. However, they're all in the garden, usually chirrupping.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

crickets/grasshoppers Frank H. Kirchner Orchids 5 09-08-2007 04:33 PM
Grasshoppers & garlic butter John Hall Gardening 8 25-08-2003 02:02 AM
Toad song begins...crickets on speed Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 7 06-04-2003 09:20 AM
Crickets Jim Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Crickets Jim Australia 7 12-03-2003 09:00 PM