Old 20-08-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Maincrop spuds....

.....are not very good for us on the allotment.
They have been regularly watered and manure was dug in prior to sowing.
Four types, Cara, Maris Piper, King Edward and Golden Wonder.
All have the haulms flopping over, some are black. To me that means they
are ready to harvest.
In the garden at home they are still thriving with rich haulms. Sowed at
the same time, well, same day.

We have eaten all of the earlies, and it was a very large sowing.

Baz
Old 20-08-2013, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

....are not very good for us on the allotment.
They have been regularly watered and manure was dug in prior to sowing.
Four types, Cara, Maris Piper, King Edward and Golden Wonder.
All have the haulms flopping over, some are black. To me that means they
are ready to harvest.
In the garden at home they are still thriving with rich haulms. Sowed at
the same time, well, same day.

We have eaten all of the earlies, and it was a very large sowing.

It's been a good year on the allotment. 2 rows each of Foremost and
Homeguard lifted stored and/or given away.

The remaining 2 rows each of Wilja, Nichola and Desire' started to turn
yellow last Thursday. Tops removed on Friday and spuds earthed up again.
They'll stay in the ground until required. They look in good nick but I'll
keep an eye on them.

Old 20-08-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...

....are not very good for us on the allotment.
They have been regularly watered and manure was dug in prior to sowing.
Four types, Cara, Maris Piper, King Edward and Golden Wonder.
All have the haulms flopping over, some are black. To me that means they
are ready to harvest.
In the garden at home they are still thriving with rich haulms. Sowed at
the same time, well, same day.

We have eaten all of the earlies, and it was a very large sowing.

Looks good so far here. Lifted all the second early Kestral last on Saturday
as they had died back, good crop of nice tubers although a lot of green
ones, for some strange reason they seem to have grown very near the soil
surface. On the maincrop hulms I notice the Rooster and Valour are beginning
to yellow but the two Sarpo varieties show no sign of stopping growing,
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-08-2013, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2013 13:56, Baz wrote:
....are not very good for us on the allotment.
They have been regularly watered and manure was dug in prior to sowing.
Four types, Cara, Maris Piper, King Edward and Golden Wonder.
All have the haulms flopping over, some are black. To me that means they
are ready to harvest.
In the garden at home they are still thriving with rich haulms. Sowed at
the same time, well, same day.

We have eaten all of the earlies, and it was a very large sowing.

Baz

I've dug up all my Daisy potatoes now. Got a huge crop this year which I
put down to all the sunshine, regular watering, dilute pee as fertilizer
and preventative spraying against blight. I lost most of my crop last
year due to blight due to forgetting to spray so I've kept on top of
that this year spraying every few weeks. Fantastic crop.

Also broke some new ground this year and planted an assortment of other
varieties there; they've done well too. Don't know what they were, as
they were mostly a mix of potatoes left over from last year and some
smaller ones saved from supermarkets. Hopefully won't need to buy any
potatoes at all for the foreseeable future.

BTW: Anyone know what to do with a "courgette" that is around three feet
long and nearly a foot in diameter? I think it might be too heavy to
lift onto the wheelbarrow!

--
David in Normandy.
Old 20-08-2013, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message ...

BTW: Anyone know what to do with a "courgette" that is around three feet
long and nearly a foot in diameter? I think it might be too heavy to lift
onto the wheelbarrow!

My neighbour swears by this Jane Kennedy "Pizza" recipe, to utilise her
runnaway courgettes :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utAERckhNg
I haven't tried it yet. Ok that's got rid of 500g, the remaining 10Kg maybe
more tricky ...

Old 20-08-2013, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2013 21:29, Bertie Doe wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message ...

BTW: Anyone know what to do with a "courgette" that is around three
feet long and nearly a foot in diameter? I think it might be too heavy
to lift onto the wheelbarrow!

My neighbour swears by this Jane Kennedy "Pizza" recipe, to utilise her
runnaway courgettes :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utAERckhNg
I haven't tried it yet. Ok that's got rid of 500g, the remaining 10Kg
maybe more tricky ...

This particular one "got away" some weeks ago, so I'm letting it grow as
much as it wants out of curiosity. I tend to harvest the smaller marrows
later in the season to store over winter for use in soups, stews and to
make ginger, lemon and marrow jam (which is gorgeous).

This particular courgette plant was set where I used to have a compost
heap and it appears to adore the soil there. Much too rich for most
other plants.

--
David in Normandy.
Old 20-08-2013, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message ...

This particular one "got away" some weeks ago, so I'm letting it grow as
much as it wants out of curiosity. I tend to harvest the smaller marrows
later in the season to store over winter for use in soups, stews and to
make ginger, lemon and marrow jam (which is gorgeous).

This particular courgette plant was set where I used to have a compost heap
and it appears to adore the soil there. Much too rich for most other
plants.

You got me thinking now, about the richness of old compost soil. I had a
heap that stretched the whole width of the allotment.
The row of rhubarb adjoining the compost heap have grown really well:-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...Rhubarb001.jpg

Where the heap once stood, I planted a row of Elderberry bushes, which are
struggling to produce flowers. This is their 3rd year, there has been few
flowers and no fruit. I'm wonder if the soil is too rich.

Old 21-08-2013, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote ((SNIP))

This particular courgette plant was set where I used to have a compost
heap and it appears to adore the soil there. Much too rich for most other
plants.

The man I learnt my allotment gardening from when I was a child used to
always grow his cucurbits on an old compost heap, when planting ours I
always dig out a good bucket sized hole and fill it with compost and plant
into that. Important to keep the compost moist too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-08-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote ...

....are not very good for us on the allotment.
They have been regularly watered and manure was dug in prior to
sowing. Four types, Cara, Maris Piper, King Edward and Golden Wonder.
All have the haulms flopping over, some are black. To me that means
they are ready to harvest.
In the garden at home they are still thriving with rich haulms. Sowed
at the same time, well, same day.

We have eaten all of the earlies, and it was a very large sowing.

Looks good so far here. Lifted all the second early Kestral last on
Saturday as they had died back, good crop of nice tubers although a
lot of green ones, for some strange reason they seem to have grown
very near the soil surface. On the maincrop hulms I notice the Rooster
and Valour are beginning to yellow but the two Sarpo varieties show no
sign of stopping growing,

Yes, that is what we are getting as well, green potatoes. Earthed up too.
Not Kestral, but all the maincrop.

Baz
Old 22-08-2013, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/08/2013 14:34, Bertie Doe wrote:
The remaining 2 rows each of Wilja, Nichola and Desire' started to turn
yellow last Thursday. Tops removed on Friday and spuds earthed up again.
They'll stay in the ground until required. They look in good nick but
I'll keep an eye on them.

Charlottes have been very good here. Even two rows i forgot to harvest
last year and now producing grandoffspring

--
Janet T.
Amersham