Old 20-08-2013, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slugs

Has anyone else found a strange pattern to slug and snail attack this year?
I hardly saw a slug till the last week, very few during the dry spell
though plenty of mature snails around, then we had the 5 inches of rain
and still very few slugs, but the rain in the last few days has brought
them out by the thousand, I exaggerate not, I put down pellets amongst
the dahlias which they had massacred in a day, I reckon on about 2000 +
dead, (the ground cover fabric shows all their trails and you can see
the corpses).
David@ a warm side of Swansea Bay.
Old 20-08-2013, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:56:29 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Has anyone else found a strange pattern to slug and snail attack this year?
I hardly saw a slug till the last week, very few during the dry spell
though plenty of mature snails around, then we had the 5 inches of rain
and still very few slugs, but the rain in the last few days has brought
them out by the thousand, I exaggerate not, I put down pellets amongst
the dahlias which they had massacred in a day, I reckon on about 2000 +
dead, (the ground cover fabric shows all their trails and you can see
the corpses).
David@ a warm side of Swansea Bay.

I thought I'd got away without slugs eating my hostas this year for
the first time. Noticed today that one is like lace. The recent wet
weather brought the s&s out again.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-08-2013, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Has anyone else found a strange pattern to slug and snail attack this year?
I hardly saw a slug till the last week, very few during the dry spell
though plenty of mature snails around, then we had the 5 inches of rain
and still very few slugs, but the rain in the last few days has brought
them out by the thousand, I exaggerate not, I put down pellets amongst
the dahlias which they had massacred in a day, I reckon on about 2000 +
dead, (the ground cover fabric shows all their trails and you can see
the corpses).
David@ a warm side of Swansea Bay.

I thought I'd got away without slugs eating my hostas this year for
the first time. Noticed today that one is like lace. The recent wet
weather brought the s&s out again.

Pam in Bristol

That is so true from famine to feast, well feast for those that eat
slugs. Yesterday I saw a very strange slug trail, it was almost a
perfect rectangle.
Old 21-08-2013, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

I hadn't realised that you had to keep spraying them around.
That must make it quite expensive.

Here are the instructions and FAQ for one brand:

http://nemaslug.co.uk/using-nemaslug
http://nemaslug.co.uk/nemaslug-faq

You should try to clear any debris, gravel, membrane, foliage or fallen leaves. Nemaslug needs to be applied directly to the soil. It will be absorbed into the ground much more readily if the soil is moist, so water first or wait for a damp day. Evaporation can also effect the application, so it is best to avoid very bright or windy conditions. If you do apply though foliage then wash the treatment from the foliage to the soil with extra applications of water.

Depending on soil and weather conditions a single treatment of Nemaslug will be effective for six weeks. It is a good idea to apply at the start and end of the season (March/April and October/November) to kill off early generations and those over-wintering for the following season. A full season's continuous treatment would take 6 x 6 weekly applications, that is 6 packs in total (depending on the area treated).

I bought one packet at Gardeners' World. I'm uncertain if it
worked, there were still plenty of slug trails around.

You have to get them to the soil, mulch is not good news.

There are limits on both storage time and temperature.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.