GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery butterfly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208198-mystery-butterfly.html)

Sacha[_11_] 21-08-2013 11:56 AM

Mystery butterfly

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week or
so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been seen
again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

CT 21-08-2013 12:13 PM

Mystery butterfly

Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

--
Chris

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 21-08-2013 12:32 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 21/08/2013 12:13, CT wrote:
Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

I'd made it Heliconius (now Laparus) doris (Doris Longwing), but
Heliconius wing patterns vary greatly within species, and also overlap
greatly between species.

[My original post with that identification went astray due to hitting
the wrong (virtual) button.]

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_11_] 21-08-2013 12:47 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly. Thank
you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to what! Man,
birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder? I'll do some
more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to know about it.
We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various greenhouses, so that
could explain how it found its way to us. Thank you very much!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

CT 21-08-2013 01:07 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

--
Chris

Sacha[_11_] 21-08-2013 01:09 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

I wouldn't call that cheating - it's research! Again, thank you.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Hill 21-08-2013 02:26 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I was told many, many years ago that it's not knowing the answer but
knowing where to find it that's important.

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 21-08-2013 03:07 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

I remembered the genus from the Conwy Butterfly Jungle, and confirmed it
from my image files. (Which don't however have Heliconius doris - it
took Google Images to give me that name.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Christina Websell 22-08-2013 01:37 AM

Mystery butterfly

"Sacha" wrote in message
This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week or so
ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been seen
again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/
--

Definitely an escapee and unlikely to live long outside the tropical house
of the butterfly farm.

Tina

Sacha[_11_] 22-08-2013 09:48 AM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-22 01:37:47 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week or
so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been seen
again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/
--

Definitely an escapee and unlikely to live long outside the tropical
house of the butterfly farm.
What a beauty, though.

Tina

I'm just so glad someone managed to grab a photo before it disappeared.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

mark 23-08-2013 07:30 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

I was in a garden centre in New Zealand and noticed some plants had lots of
caterpillars which I dutifully reported to a member of staff. Apparently
they are sold like that so people can have exotic butterflies in their own
greenhouses.

mark

Janet 23-08-2013 07:38 PM

Mystery butterfly

In article ,
says...

I was in a garden centre in New Zealand and noticed some plants had lots of
caterpillars which I dutifully reported to a member of staff. Apparently
they are sold like that so people can have exotic butterflies in their own
greenhouses.

What a great idea!

When I was about 8, someone gave me a present of a collection of live
butterfly chrysalids (apprently you could buy them by post). I kept them
watched them hatch.. magical experience... and let them out in the
garden.

Janet

Sacha[_11_] 23-08-2013 10:41 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

If that was in the North island, I suppose it doesn't matter if they
escape into the wild, either.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 23-08-2013 10:53 PM

Mystery butterfly

"Janet" wrote
mark
says...

I was in a garden centre in New Zealand and noticed some plants had lots
of
caterpillars which I dutifully reported to a member of staff. Apparently
they are sold like that so people can have exotic butterflies in their
own
greenhouses.

What a great idea!

When I was about 8, someone gave me a present of a collection of live
butterfly chrysalids (apprently you could buy them by post). I kept them
watched them hatch.. magical experience... and let them out in the
garden.

We bought the very same thing for a friends young daughter just a few years
ago.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

mark 24-08-2013 10:21 AM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

It was in Christchurch. We were in the garden centre to buy our host a tree
by way of a thankyou.

mark

sacha 24-08-2013 07:11 PM

Mystery butterfly

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Bit chilly in winter, perhaps? We were there in October/November,
though we didn't visit Christchurch. It was warm with a coat needed
occasionally, sort of weather. But the real winter probably wouldn't
be kind to exotic butterflies. I'd love to net a greenhouse here and
let such beautiful creatures into it, but it's not very practical for
us, unfortunately. Did they tell you if that's what people do there,
or how the whole thing works? It sounds lovely.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

'Mike'[_4_] 24-08-2013 07:19 PM

Mystery butterfly

When we were on our World Cruise, New Zealand was the only place which made
my wife homesick during the complete three month cruise.

Lovely place

Mike