Old 21-08-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery butterfly

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week or
so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been seen
again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-08-2013, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

--
Chris
Old 21-08-2013, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/08/2013 12:13, CT wrote:
Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

I'd made it Heliconius (now Laparus) doris (Doris Longwing), but
Heliconius wing patterns vary greatly within species, and also overlap
greatly between species.

[My original post with that identification went astray due to hitting
the wrong (virtual) button.]

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-08-2013, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week
or so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been
seen again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly. Thank
you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to what! Man,
birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder? I'll do some
more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to know about it.
We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various greenhouses, so that
could explain how it found its way to us. Thank you very much!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-08-2013, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

--
Chris

Old 21-08-2013, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

I wouldn't call that cheating - it's research! Again, thank you.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-08-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I was told many, many years ago that it's not knowing the answer but
knowing where to find it that's important.
Old 21-08-2013, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

I remembered the genus from the Conwy Butterfly Jungle, and confirmed it
from my image files. (Which don't however have Heliconius doris - it
took Google Images to give me that name.)

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-08-2013, 02:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week or so
ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been seen
again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/
--

Definitely an escapee and unlikely to live long outside the tropical house
of the butterfly farm.

Tina

Old 22-08-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-22 01:37:47 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
This is the unknown butterfly seen in one of the greenhouses a week or
so ago. I still think it must be an escapee. Sadly, it hasn't been seen
again.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9562967292/
--

Definitely an escapee and unlikely to live long outside the tropical
house of the butterfly farm.
What a beauty, though.

Tina

I'm just so glad someone managed to grab a photo before it disappeared.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-08-2013, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

It's a Postman Butterfly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliconius_melpomene

How terrific of you and Stewart to come up with that so quickly.
Thank you very much indeed. It says that it's poisonous but not to
what! Man, birds, other insects? Only other butterflies, I wonder?
I'll do some more looking up. The Nursery team will be thrilled to
know about it. We have quite a lot of passion flowers in various
greenhouses, so that could explain how it found its way to us. Thank
you very much!

I did cheat a little.

I'd been to the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at RHS Wisley earlier
in the year and that looked vaguely familiar so I Googled for their
Butterfly ID sheet that they gave out at the time and found this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-20992861

See the 4th image!

I was in a garden centre in New Zealand and noticed some plants had lots of
caterpillars which I dutifully reported to a member of staff. Apparently
they are sold like that so people can have exotic butterflies in their own
greenhouses.

mark

Old 23-08-2013, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

If that was in the North island, I suppose it doesn't matter if they
escape into the wild, either.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-08-2013, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote
mark
says...

I was in a garden centre in New Zealand and noticed some plants had lots
of
caterpillars which I dutifully reported to a member of staff. Apparently
they are sold like that so people can have exotic butterflies in their
own
greenhouses.

What a great idea!

When I was about 8, someone gave me a present of a collection of live
butterfly chrysalids (apprently you could buy them by post). I kept them
watched them hatch.. magical experience... and let them out in the
garden.

We bought the very same thing for a friends young daughter just a few years
ago.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 24-08-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-21 12:13:55 +0100, CT said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

It was in Christchurch. We were in the garden centre to buy our host a tree
by way of a thankyou.

mark