Old 21-08-2013, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberry propagation

Next year I have other plans for the strawberry patch. I want to transfer
them from the allotment soil into planters. I'm thinking of buying 6 Quadro
stackables from eBay :- http://tinyurl.com/kz85g9s

I've filled some 3" pots with compost and placed them under the runners, to
root the newly forming strawberry plantlets.

Q1. When the plantlets have become established, should I leave them in situ
to over-Winter or should they be transferred to the coldframe?

Q2. Next year, will the parent plants still be capable of producing good
fruit (in the planter) or should I rely on 'new blood'. Thanks in
anticipation.

Old 22-08-2013, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Q1. When the plantlets have become established, should I leave them in situ
to over-Winter or should they be transferred to the coldframe?

I transfer them, that way the 'old' strawberry bed, gets a good clean
up, they are 'heeled' into spare patch of ground, and let nature look
after them :-)

Q2. Next year, will the parent plants still be capable of producing good
fruit (in the planter)

Most strawberries fruit better in second year, as long as you have
good size planters.

Remove almost all the leaves from the 'old' plant now, lets the light
onto the enter of the plant and produces a better crop next year.

Old 22-08-2013, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message news
wrote:

Q1. When the plantlets have become established, should I leave them in situ
to over-Winter or should they be transferred to the coldframe?

/I transfer them, that way the 'old' strawberry bed, gets a good clean
/up, they are 'heeled' into spare patch of ground, and let nature look
/after them :-)

Q2. Next year, will the parent plants still be capable of producing good
fruit (in the planter)

/Most strawberries fruit better in second year, as long as you have
/good size planters.

/Remove almost all the leaves from the 'old' plant now, lets the light
/onto the centre of the plant and produces a better crop next year.

Thanks Derek, I'll move them to the coldframe, once the offspring have
rooted into the 3" pots.
With a bit of luck, I should have enough to fill the planters next year.

Last month I topped up my stock with a 6 pack that Homebase were selling off
half price. I know it's late, but these are in flower, some have already
set. Would these six form fruit and runners for next month or would it be
best to remove the flowers and thus strengthen the plant?

Old 22-08-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Next year I have other plans for the strawberry patch. I want to transfer
them from the allotment soil into planters. I'm thinking of buying 6 Quadro
stackables from eBay :-
http://tinyurl.com/kz85g9s

I've filled some 3" pots with compost and placed them under the runners, to
root the newly forming strawberry plantlets.

Q1. When the plantlets have become established, should I leave them in situ
to over-Winter or should they be transferred to the coldframe?

a small pot above ground can easily freeze solid, so cut off their
umbilical cords and transfer them to cold frame during winter. Or their
new planters.

Q2. Next year, will the parent plants still be capable of producing good
fruit (in the planter) or should I rely on 'new blood'. Thanks in
anticipation.

Depends how old the parents are. Usually their best fruiting is from
their second and third flowering; after that it declines.

Janet

Old 22-08-2013, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2013 09:35, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message
news
wrote:

[...]

If you want to strengthen the plant then remove the runners.

Strawberry propagation Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 0 10-08-2014 07:18 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM
propagation question Todd J. Gardening 6 01-03-2003 01:03 AM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM
Macadamia home propagation [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 03-02-2003 12:34 AM