Old 26-08-2013, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default End of summer?

In message , Emery Davis
writes

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 09:57:40 +0100, David Rance wrote:

We're planning a trip to Soligny-la-Trappe next Sunday and, if they
fulfil their promise and you would like some, we could drop some off on
our way through.

Thanks for the thought! That's very kind. We're fine on fruit for this
year though, I think Adele would murder me if I arranged more for her to
process. (Sadly we tend to fall into gender specific roles when it comes
to putting up fruit and power tools). I'm not sure we'll be here anyway,
the "rentre" is coming, our daughter is entering 1ere. Big stuff; thank
goodness for bilingual schools!

Not to worry! And I wish your daughter all the best for her new academic
year. Just had the GCSE results for my eldest granddaughter. Two A*,
seven A and one B. Gets a bit expensive when granddads pay for results!
But I don't begrudge it. She's a clever kid. We've promised her a meal
in Oxford when we get back - we're trying to get her to set her sights
on Oxford in a couple of years instead of a Dutch university (she's
thinking of Maastricht at the moment).

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 27-08-2013, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:31:29 +0100, David Rance wrote:

In message , Emery Davis
writes

stuff; thank goodness for bilingual schools!

Not to worry! And I wish your daughter all the best for her new academic
year. Just had the GCSE results for my eldest granddaughter. Two A*,
seven A and one B. Gets a bit expensive when granddads pay for results!
But I don't begrudge it. She's a clever kid. We've promised her a meal
in Oxford when we get back - we're trying to get her to set her sights
on Oxford in a couple of years instead of a Dutch university (she's
thinking of Maastricht at the moment).

David

Well done her! Fantastic results. I believe Maastricht is a very good
school, FWIW. (You probably know lots about it). Oxford is a different
kettle of fish... We have English GCSEs scores coming back too, I
think they get sent to the school here. And American SATs plus the
French and Latin BACs in the spring. Really all a bit much, I don't
think I would have survived it. Mine really wants to go to the US for
Uni, I keep telling her it will have to be a fully funded grant!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 27-08-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:00:17 +0100, Janet wrote:

You both might like to know that students from the EU (outside the
UK) get their university fees fully funded in Scotland.

Thanks Janet. I've actually been trying to talk up Edinburgh, (not that
it should need much talking up), and we have friends from the school
who's daughter is entering her second year there.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy