Old 25-08-2013, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Design

"Derek" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:16:49 +0100, Derek
wrote:

After many years with a small garden

Thanks for so many replies, A little more info, and a rely to some
questions/

Not a new garden, size 100m by 15m south facing, overlooking fields at
far end, I will be having a Greenhouse veg plot. multiple compost
bins and a polytunnel. No children, No Gnomes, no Washing lines, no
Roses, and I plan to be there until I am chucked on the compost heap
(but hopefully that will be in thirty plus years, )

Veg plot and hard landscape I can sort out, but the flower beds, (lots
of grasses?) lawn and trees, I will take inspiration from books.

Thanks

PS Will be finding space for my 100+ varieties of fuchsia!

One suggestion for you, is to visit a couple of NGS open gardens in your
area each month of the year you are interested in your garden looking good
with a note book, and make a note of the plants looking good, especially
those plants that go over well.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 25-08-2013, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek wrote:

Thanks for so many replies, A little more info, and a rely to some
questions/

Not a new garden, size 100m by 15m south facing, overlooking fields at
far end, I will be having a Greenhouse veg plot. multiple compost
bins and a polytunnel. No children, No Gnomes, no Washing lines, no
Roses, and I plan to be there until I am chucked on the compost heap
(but hopefully that will be in thirty plus years, )

For that size of garden, I do not recommend compost bins - they
are too small, unless you go for the industrial ones. With my
100 metre by 10 metre plot (i.e. including the house), I cycle
round c. 3 compost heaps, each a 4' cube. These are made up
of metal poles, old polytunnel plastic and pig wire (and I need
only two of them - the third heap is the one waiting to use.
I also use a Bosch 2200 quiet shredder.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-08-2013, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derek wrote in
:

After many years with a small garden I now have a very large blank
canvas to keep me occupied. At the moment, its featureless. Can anyone
suggest a good book on Garden Design.

It can't do any harm to have software.

http://tinyurl.com/n6kz5o8

Who knows, it might help a bit.