GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Birthday present for a lady gardener. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208210-birthday-present-lady-gardener.html)

Baz[_3_] 25-08-2013 05:04 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

Bob Hobden 25-08-2013 05:23 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

"Baz" wrote ...

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Pair of Felco Secateurs
http://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/

Sneeboer hand tools etc.
http://www.sneeboer.com/

Handmade garden furniture
http://www.celticforest.co.uk/

Something special in the plant line, look her name up on the RNS plantfinder
to see if there is one in her name..
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

'Mike'[_4_] 25-08-2013 05:27 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

Baz before anybody here on this forum can make ANY suggestions, we need to
know her interests. To take her to a top hotel in a big city and first class
seats at a show might be a 'no no', but a Box at Stratford might be the
thing.

(Do NOT take her on a 'special weekend 3 day cruise'. Unless you 'know';
what sounds like an ideal thing could lead to a separation.)

Mike

'Mike'[_4_] 25-08-2013 05:33 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

Can I expand on this Baz with a couple of examples?

We went to a local Cricket Club Fete this afternoon. My better half saw a
Crystal Vase she fancied. Over the moon that I bought it for a Fiver the
asking price, yes she saw how much it was. Friday Night we went out as a
family for a birthday dinner. £138.00. Nowhere near as 'excited'.

Get the gist?

Mike

Janet 25-08-2013 06:10 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

In article , says...

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

High quality teak seat/chair.

If you have a suitable tree; a swing with her name carved on the edge.
http://www.bramble-swing-seats.co.uk...g-touches.html

If you know her taste in pots; a large weatherproof pot, a giant sack
of compost, and a garden gift token to spend on plant contents

Felco secateurs gift token.. don't choose them for her...she needs to
choose the model herself.
http://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/

Handsome large obelisk with a clematis to grow up it.

Janet.

sacha 25-08-2013 06:20 PM

On 2013-08-25 16:04:18 +0000, Baz said:

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

http://www.sittingspiritually.co.uk
Wonderfully made and carved work.

http://www.commonfarmflowers.com
you can order a bouquet a month for a year from the above

http://www.woodengardenobelisk.co.uk/prices.htm

I gave Ray 2 obelisks for a big birthday. The people who make them
deliver theml fully made up (Suffolk to Devon in their van!) and
painted to the colour of your choice. Next year I'm going for two of
the 'slighter' sweet pea ones. Very reasonably priced and extremely
well made by a small family firm.

Other choices, a tree or shrub of her own choice and a huge sack of
daff bulbs which YOU plant, according to instructions! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Baz[_3_] 25-08-2013 06:37 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote ...

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a
special thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while
staying with her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Pair of Felco Secateurs
http://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/

Sneeboer hand tools etc.
http://www.sneeboer.com/

Handmade garden furniture
http://www.celticforest.co.uk/

Something special in the plant line, look her name up on the RNS
plantfinder to see if there is one in her name..
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/

Thanks Bob.
We both have Felco's. And what gods gift they are!
Sneeboer hand tools would not last 5 mins with her heavy hand.
http://www.celticforest.co.uk/ are FAR FAR expensive. And although hand
crafted, are bolted together! A child could do that.

I really do appreciate your recommendations. I am just sorry that none of
them are adequate.

Baz

David Hill 25-08-2013 06:39 PM

On 25/08/2013 17:04, Baz wrote:
I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

You could always try a garden holiday such as
http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/sp....aspx?pid=ppsg

Or
http://worldwide.rhsgardenholidays.com/all-rhs-tours

David Hill 25-08-2013 06:43 PM

On 25/08/2013 18:25, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:04:18 GMT, Baz wrote:

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

I'm a Philistine. I don't rate Felcos! Someone recently told me that
after 19 years he still had his original Felcos. He'd replaced bits
over time .... When we totted things up, the only 19 year old bit was
the nut and bolt pivot!

For something unusual, have a look through http://www.niwaki.com. Not
cheap at all but secateur-wise, the best pairs (I have two) I've ever
had. They have household as well as garden things.

But I guess that whatever money can buy, what she really wants is you.
And only you can find a way to give her that. Is there something she
always does (cooking's the easy one maybe) that, just for a day, you
can take over and surprise her with? If you're the worst cook in
creating but can rustle up a special beans on toast, she may well
appreciate the effort.

Reminds me of my grandfathers old axe he'd used it for almost 70 years,
it had had 5 new heads and 12 new handles.

Baz[_3_] 25-08-2013 07:07 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

Jake wrote in
:

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:04:18 GMT, Baz wrote:

I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a
special thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while
staying with her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

I'm a Philistine. I don't rate Felcos! Someone recently told me that
after 19 years he still had his original Felcos. He'd replaced bits
over time .... When we totted things up, the only 19 year old bit was
the nut and bolt pivot!

We both have our own Felco's.
Your story above reminds me of Trigger, with his broom from "Only Fools And
Horses" That always gets me belly laughing.

For something unusual, have a look through http://www.niwaki.com. Not
cheap at all but secateur-wise, the best pairs (I have two) I've ever
had. They have household as well as garden things.

But I guess that whatever money can buy, what she really wants is you.
And only you can find a way to give her that. Is there something she
always does (cooking's the easy one maybe) that, just for a day, you
can take over and surprise her with? If you're the worst cook in
creating but can rustle up a special beans on toast, she may well
appreciate the effort.

No, Jake, she needs a break from my cooking. And so do I.
I am back at work now so can afford to give my aunt a proper housekeeping
budget. She is the best cook and auntie in the world.

It HAS to be something else. I don't know what.

Thanks, Jake

Baz

'Mike'[_4_] 25-08-2013 07:10 PM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

Can we establish as to whether it should be, or should not be, a gardening
item/thought?

You haven't clarified.

Mike

"Baz" wrote in message ...

Jake wrote in
:

sacha 25-08-2013 07:46 PM

And yet another http://www.brigh****erholidays.co.uk
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Emery Davis[_3_] 25-08-2013 10:47 PM

http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/sp...s/search.aspx?

pid=ppsg

Or http://worldwide.rhsgardenholidays.com/all-rhs-tours

And yet another http://www.brigh****erholidays.co.uk

Those are good ideas. I like giving a plant with the name of the person,
or if you've got something good to name, register a cultivar with her
name.

If you need an idea for a tool, I think concave pruners are the forgotten
tool in the garden. Sold as a bonsai tool typically but I use it to snip
the leftovers from side grafts, help pruning cuts heal almost invisibly.
One of my favourite tools.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

David Hill 25-08-2013 10:55 PM

On 2013-08-25 17:39:11 +0000, David Hill said:

On 25/08/2013 17:04, Baz wrote:
I want to spend a good few quid on my partner's birthday to say a
special
thanks for looking after me this last year or so, and while staying with
her promotion at work. It has not been easy for her.
So far I have come up with no ideas at all.

Baz

You could always try a garden holiday such as
http://travel.saga.co.uk/holidays/sp....aspx?pid=ppsg

Or
http://worldwide.rhsgardenholidays.com/all-rhs-tours

And yet another http://www.brigh****erholidays.co.uk

Or you could forget the gardening aspect and just buy her a day or two
at a luxury Spa for a day or 2 of pampering

'Mike'[_4_] 26-08-2013 06:49 AM

Birthday present for a lady gardener.

David I did ask if it has to be garden related but not had the courtesy of a
reply yet.

Mike