Old 26-08-2013, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weeeeeeed!

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

I'm moving upmarket with my pots of Urtica dioica, and I'm working on a
sting free variety that will cost twice as much.
Then it's off to the Himilayers where I've heard of giant Himalayan
stinging nettle plants, these Ill develop for fibre after all they are
the same family as hemp.
Old 26-08-2013, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-26 15:13:22 +0100, David Hill said:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

I'm moving upmarket with my pots of Urtica dioica, and I'm working on a
sting free variety that will cost twice as much.
Then it's off to the Himilayers where I've heard of giant Himalayan
stinging nettle plants, these Ill develop for fibre after all they are
the same family as hemp.

I especially like the statement that the plants are proving so popular
they're having to give more space over to growing them!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-26 12:30:31 +0000, Martin Brown said:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I

HOW MUCH!!

really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Boggle?! Do think there might be a market for "nettle seed" with
townies? I could easily harvest a few kg with no bother at all!

Martin, I swear this is true. Two of us here had the "Is it 1st April?"
reaction.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...-for-7.99.html

I didn't doubt you for a moment. I did marvel at the price and product!

Surely it isn't beyond their capabilities to bring home a piece of ripe
nettle stem and spread the seeds if they want some wild nettles. I leave
some in the wilder parts of my garden and field boundaries for
butterflies. Ditto nectar rich flowers like pink verbena, buddleia and
sedum spectabile which is just coming into flower now. The butterflies
need all the help they can get after last year.

Until this last weekend I had mostly seen cabbage whites but finally at
last a few peacocks and red admirals have appeared. Warm and sunny here
today which makes for a very pleasant August Bank Holiday.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 26-08-2013, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:56:17 +0200, Martin wrote:

There are plenty of weeds up for grabs on grass verges.

Pretty sure that taking anything, including seed, from the "wild" is
illegal over here. Of course the nettles we have an their seed have
been grown and are not "wild".

Collecting wild flower seed from the wild is quite legal providing
you have the landowners permission or it is on common land.
It is recommended that when collecting seed, not more than 20%
of the crop is taken.

Phil
Retired manager of the Ashton Wold wildflower project

Old 26-08-2013, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only £7.99
per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I really have
now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up nettles and enable
us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

They obviously saw my post about selling potted Couch Grass. Maybe I should
pursue my idea.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-08-2013, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:29:20 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

As I'm sure you know, it's all about a company taking the risk out of
illegally helping yourself to wild plants. Besides weeds will not grow
if you want them to. If they did they aren't weeds.

Steve

Old 26-08-2013, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:30:31 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I

HOW MUCH!!

really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Boggle?! Do think there might be a market for "nettle seed" with
townies? I could easily harvest a few kg with no bother at all!

Goldfinches love nettle seeds. It's worth a few £ to attract the
birds.

Steve

Old 26-08-2013, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-26 15:09:28 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

They obviously saw my post about selling potted Couch Grass. Maybe I
should pursue my idea.

You find an insect that thrives on it and you're made!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

As I'm sure you know, it's all about a company taking the risk out of
illegally helping yourself to wild plants. Besides weeds will not grow
if you want them to. If they did they aren't weeds.

Steve

Sorry Steve but I cannot believe you're posting that seriously. £8 for
a pot of nettles. £4 for a pot of dandelions or buttercups? That seems
reasonable to you and fair to the consumer who, in 9 places out of 10,
could turn over a patch of ground, leave it entirely alone for a year
and watch all of those things find their way in.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2013 22:05, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 15:13:22 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

I'm moving upmarket with my pots of Urtica dioica, and I'm working on a
sting free variety that will cost twice as much.

Red dead nettles are there waiting to be sold.

Then it's off to the Himilayers where I've heard of giant Himalayan
stinging nettle plants, these Ill develop for fibre after all they are
the same family as hemp.

But caterpillars don't go for dead nettles like they do the real thing.

Old 26-08-2013, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

But dandelions are grown as a chicory substitute, blanched their leaves
are good in salad, and the root dried will grind down as a coffee substitute
Old 26-08-2013, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW-Dandeli...-/360205339895
Old 27-08-2013, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/08/2013 08:55, Janet wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

wrote:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

I'm moving upmarket with my pots of Urtica dioica, and I'm working on a
sting free variety that will cost twice as much.

Red dead nettles are there waiting to be sold.

Then it's off to the Himilayers where I've heard of giant Himalayan
stinging nettle plants, these Ill develop for fibre after all they are
the same family as hemp.

But caterpillars don't go for dead nettles like they do the real thing.

but you can eat the tops of young Lamium purpureum

Never heard of eating deadnettle. that. You can eat the tops of
Urtica dioica (and I have)

Janet

A useful spring veg, then when you have had your share the butterfly can
lay their eggs on it and the caterpillars have their share before the
birds find them.
Old 27-08-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-26 16:00:34 +0100, Phil Gurr said:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:56:17 +0200, Martin wrote:

There are plenty of weeds up for grabs on grass verges.

Pretty sure that taking anything, including seed, from the "wild" is
illegal over here. Of course the nettles we have an their seed have
been grown and are not "wild".

Collecting wild flower seed from the wild is quite legal providing
you have the landowners permission or it is on common land.
It is recommended that when collecting seed, not more than 20%
of the crop is taken.

Phil
Retired manager of the Ashton Wold wildflower project

That's good to know because the subject often crops up on here in one
way or another. So - we're all rolling in money then - though not in
nettles, perhaps!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com