Old 27-08-2013, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weeeeeeed!

On 2013-08-27 13:24:31 +0100, Jake said:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:50:34 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

pruned

At a place not far from here I was once told a story of a customer who
visited every spring to buy the same large selection of plants. He was
remembered because he liked to announce to other customers *very*
loudly that he "always got good plants, liked to grow the same ones
every year and knew they would always be in stock there". And he spent
£250+ each annual visit which I suppose is the real reason for
remembering him!

He drove to the nursery because he objected to paying their delivery
charge which, I think, was then around £10-15 for an order of his
size. He would not use the cafe there because the tea was too
expensive!

He had once lived nearby but, having moved, his drive became about 100
miles each way and the selection of plants he bought every year was
completely perennial! He would not be told!

So I suppose there's always someone .....

We do know someone very like that. Other suggestions have been made by
us and his gardening friends but it's his garden, so........
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-08-2013, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:10:31 +0100, Phil Gurr wrote:

How many people have you seen collecting wildflower seed?

Not many, round here they come with trowels and take the whole plant,
particulary an orchid of some kind.

What would you do? Ban all wildflower seed collecting or let eveyone
just hack in and take as much as they can?

As Mr Maclaren said it should be down to intelligence and thinking.
Common sense says that if there is a whole field full of what you
want a couple of seed heads won't be missed. But if there is only a
single plant...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-08-2013, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:10:15 +0100, Janet wrote:

I do that too. And wheat and nuts and fat balls. But it's the
nyger that attracts GF's; we had none until I provided it.

We've never bought nyger. We always have goldfinches in winter.

I've put out nothing but sunflower hearts this summer and have had more
Goldfinches & Greenfinches than I've ever had.

--
Chris
Old 28-08-2013, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-28 11:14:54 +0100, CT said:

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:10:15 +0100, Janet wrote:

I do that too. And wheat and nuts and fat balls. But it's the
nyger that attracts GF's; we had none until I provided it.

We've never bought nyger. We always have goldfinches in winter.

I've put out nothing but sunflower hearts this summer and have had more
Goldfinches & Greenfinches than I've ever had.

I've put out nyger a few times over the years and we get almost zero
gold or green finches here. I'm told there are several around in
various places, so I can only imagine that whatever they want to eat is
supplied in the woods, hedgerows and fields around us.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com