Old 26-08-2013, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weeeeeeed!

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Look at the price of Bay Leaves. We chop our trees back every year, they
grow like weeds in our gardens and self set. We put the young plants, along
with the Holly Bushes which grow, either through the shredder or in the
hedge to thicken it up.

See you in the Caribbean in the in the winter. (The brochures for the 2015
World Cruises came today)

Mike

Old 26-08-2013, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-26 12:48:04 +0100, Jake said:

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:29:20 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Great! You take care of the nettles and buttercups, I'll supply the
Himalayan balsam plants. A mix to attract all the pollinators.

Careful, though, there's a risk that while you're over wintering
someone will break in and dig up all the valuable plants from the
field. You'll need to hire security.

Amazing isn't it?! Talk about selling ice to Eskimos! It's the price
that gets me as much as the doing of it! It's commendable to want to
bring wildlife to your garden but do none of these potential buyers
have friends with gardens that can supply weeds for free?! £8 for a
pot of weeds that someone has dug up from a neglected bit of field or
garden! Dandelions too, I believe. Now - where did I put that
bridge....!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Don't flood the market! See you in the Caribbean!

St Marten of course! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I

HOW MUCH!!

really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Boggle?! Do think there might be a market for "nettle seed" with
townies? I could easily harvest a few kg with no bother at all!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 26-08-2013, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Who'd want to go to the Caribbean? It's full of holidaying garden
designers and nursery owners drinking their profits.

Old 26-08-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2013 14:08, Sacha wrote:

Amazing isn't it?! Talk about selling ice to Eskimos! It's the price
that gets me as much as the doing of it!

It must the the "handling charge" Would you want to pot up and package a
load of nettles? Ouch, ouch, ouch. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
Old 26-08-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/08/2013 12:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

So you get stung buying them, and stung again planting them out. :P

--
David in Normandy.
Old 26-08-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:kvfjc3$abc
:

On 26/08/2013 14:08, Sacha wrote:

Amazing isn't it?! Talk about selling ice to Eskimos! It's the price
that gets me as much as the doing of it!

It must the the "handling charge" Would you want to pot up and package a
load of nettles? Ouch, ouch, ouch. ;-)

This must be the year of the nettle. Big nasty ones too. You can have all
of them. No handling charges. Ouch, ouch, ouch. ;-)

Baz
Old 26-08-2013, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fuschia wrote in
:

wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Who'd want to go to the Caribbean? It's full of holidaying garden
designers and nursery owners drinking their profits.

Well, it will be soon, judging by everyones plans in this thread.

This group will be dead for a few weeks! ;-} Until they come back.

Baz

Old 26-08-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Don't flood the market! See you in the Caribbean!

St Marten of course! ;-)

:-)

Guadeloupe?

Spelt 'Gullible'!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

There are plenty of weeds up for grabs on grass verges.

That probably contravenes some law or other to do with wild plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I
really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Who'd want to go to the Caribbean? It's full of holidaying garden
designers and nursery owners drinking their profits.

Oh sure! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-26 12:30:31 +0000, Martin Brown said:

On 26/08/2013 11:29, Sacha wrote:
Gardening Express are now selling 2 litre pots of nettles for those who
lives in towns and don't have enough wildlife in their garden. Only
£7.99 per pot. They're also selling buttercups and other 'weeds'. I

HOW MUCH!!

really have now heard it all and am going into the field to dig up
nettles and enable us to over-winter in the Caribbean!

Boggle?! Do think there might be a market for "nettle seed" with
townies? I could easily harvest a few kg with no bother at all!

Martin, I swear this is true. Two of us here had the "Is it 1st April?"
reaction.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...-for-7.99.html

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2013, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:56:17 +0200, Martin wrote:

There are plenty of weeds up for grabs on grass verges.

Pretty sure that taking anything, including seed, from the "wild" is
illegal over here. Of course the nettles we have an their seed have
been grown and are not "wild".

Do you think we could charge more for nettles that grow to 5' with
stems as thick as a big marker pen?

--
Cheers
Dave.