Old 29-08-2013, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chipper/shredders?

Hi,

I did read this:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

but if I was looking for a shredder/chipper to handle odd branches and lots
of hawthorn clippings, which would be a good model?

The purpose is to have less bulk and more ready to compost material.

Electric is OK. Bosch have a few that will do (claimed) up to 4cm or so
thick branches. I will have a few of those, but mostly I'm looking to deal
with a wheelie bin packed solid with finer clippings from mainly a hawthorn
hedge.

Will any of the consumer ones be useful rather than a PITA? Last time I used
a chipper it was a full sized hire one - as in "stuff in an entire 3"
hawthorn trunk with branches and watch as the hydraulic power feed sucked it
to its doom".

Cheers!

Tim

Old 29-08-2013, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I did read this:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

but if I was looking for a shredder/chipper to handle odd branches and lots
of hawthorn clippings, which would be a good model?

The purpose is to have less bulk and more ready to compost material.

Electric is OK. Bosch have a few that will do (claimed) up to 4cm or so
thick branches. I will have a few of those, but mostly I'm looking to deal
with a wheelie bin packed solid with finer clippings from mainly a hawthorn
hedge.

Will any of the consumer ones be useful rather than a PITA? Last time I used
a chipper it was a full sized hire one - as in "stuff in an entire 3"
hawthorn trunk with branches and watch as the hydraulic power feed sucked it
to its doom".

The Bosch 2200 quiet model is excellent, but will not handle leafy
or fleshy material. It will handle up to c. 4 cm, but ONLY soft
wood - and hawthorn is a very hard wood. It will compress such
things as hawthorn clippings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-08-2013, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I can vouch for the 2200 and also what it will do. I bent the mounting plate
yesterday with a Hawthorn Branch which was too big. Stopped the machine
dead. Great big red button to knock the power off.

Comes to pieces very easily and I had a new plate on its way to me via the
blown apart sectional drawings on a web site. Tip. Order a couple of extra
blades and a bench grinder if you are doing a lot. Our gardens are only
small, but we take in 'stuff' from our neighbour to 'save him taking it to
the tip' ...... we do him a favour and we get the compost.

Highly recommended

Mike

Old 29-08-2013, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday 29 August 2013 09:42 'Mike' wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

I can vouch for the 2200 and also what it will do. I bent the mounting
plate yesterday with a Hawthorn Branch which was too big. Stopped the
machine dead. Great big red button to knock the power off.

Comes to pieces very easily and I had a new plate on its way to me via the
blown apart sectional drawings on a web site. Tip. Order a couple of extra
blades and a bench grinder if you are doing a lot. Our gardens are only
small, but we take in 'stuff' from our neighbour to 'save him taking it to
the tip' ...... we do him a favour and we get the compost.

Highly recommended

Mike

wrote in message ...

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Thank you both

I have a bench grinder. And I will not try to munch 4cm hawthorn - probably
just 1-2cm at worst. I still have a green wheelie bin for exceptional stuff
I just want to make a new massive wooden compost bin and turn more stuff
through it.

Cheers

Tim

Old 29-08-2013, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I have a JCB electric shredder, it will eat broomhandle sized branches all
day, but it doesn't like fresh. As long as I let prunings dry out it chomps
them happily. If I try to put them through green it blocks up.

Tina

Old 29-08-2013, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday 29 August 2013 19:54 Christina Websell wrote in
uk.rec.gardening:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Tina - all useful

I am still tossing up between a crusher type (big munchy cog) and a shredder
with a disc...

Old 30-08-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:58:01 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

I am still tossing up between a crusher type (big munchy cog) and a
shredder with a disc...

Depends how much you value your hearing. The spinning disc type ARE
VERY NOISEY, PARDON, ABOUT HALF PAST TWO! Our B&D spinning disc
produces a fairly high pitched scream and really does require ear
defenders when in use.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-08-2013, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I had a JCB :-(

They should stick to Diggeers

Gave it away.

Mike

I understand the JCB shredders's limitations, which is No Green. It's not
difficult with a large garden to dry prunings and then it chomps them like a
good un.
I then use the results in my chicken run for them to scratch around in and
poo on, and after a while of that I clean it all out and put on my veggie
plot.
Supreme recycling, eh?

Tina

Old 13-09-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/13 08:53, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

For info only, without comment:
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/09/deal-of-the-week-save-165-on-this-bosch-garden-shredder--333735/

Old 13-09-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/13 11:40, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:21:24 +0100, Tom Gardner
wrote:

[...]

When did Which? start advertising products?

Strictly speaking, never. But nowadays the word "strictly" has to be included

More ethically tricky, IMHO, is that they allow
products to advertise they are "which? best buy", e.g.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/information/awards-endorsements/which-best-buy-awards-2013/

Old 13-09-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/13 15:22, Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

To all intents and purposes deal of the week is an advert,

I don't regret canceling my Which? subscription ten years ago,.

I have considered that, but don't think it is justified.
They are still the best source of general information.

Their "local traders" section has the distinct advantage that
(compared to say TripAdvisor) people have to pay before
they can express an opinion, which keeps the riff-raff out

My Dutch CA subscription is about to be cancelled too.

More ethically tricky, IMHO, is that they allow
products to advertise they are "which? best buy", e.g.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/information/awards-endorsements/which-best-buy-awards-2013/

In the early days they used take legal action against those who did.

They did indeed. I rather like that. Nowadays one has to take
their lack-of-bias much more on trust. If I ever saw something
that made me doubt it, I'd re-evaluate my position.

Old 13-09-2013, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/13 15:43, Martin wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They are very weak on testing things like cameras.
I bought a camera Which? recommended only to find that other more
professional testers had found an obvious weakness.

Of course.

Anybody that relies on one source of information is not a
wise person, particularly for something that is deeply technical.

However, they do allow me to narrow down my search by
- ignoring most of the second and third rate products
- giving me info that can't easily be obtained from
reviews, e.g. long-term reliability, customer support etc

And that's worth having since it saves me time.

Old 13-09-2013, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday 13 September 2013 15:43 Martin wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

They did indeed. I rather like that. Nowadays one has to take
their lack-of-bias much more on trust. If I ever saw something
that made me doubt it, I'd re-evaluate my position.

They are very weak on testing things like cameras.
I bought a camera Which? recommended only to find that other more
professional testers had found an obvious weakness.

I tried Which a few years ago (having read my parents' copies in the 70's).

Having spent the later intervening years reading online (free) camera,
computer component and audio/visual kit reviews, I found Which's reviews so
laughably poor and without depth, method or in fact any tangible content, I
wrote them off.

Old 13-09-2013, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/13 16:01, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 13 September 2013 15:43 Martin wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

They did indeed. I rather like that. Nowadays one has to take
their lack-of-bias much more on trust. If I ever saw something
that made me doubt it, I'd re-evaluate my position.

They are very weak on testing things like cameras.
I bought a camera Which? recommended only to find that other more
professional testers had found an obvious weakness.

I tried Which a few years ago (having read my parents' copies in the 70's).

Having spent the later intervening years reading online (free) camera,
computer component and audio/visual kit reviews, I found Which's reviews so
laughably poor and without depth, method or in fact any tangible content, I
wrote them off.

This is a problem that they are facing, IMHO. There are many disparate
sources of info out there, many in more depth that Which? There is a
significant danger that they spread themselves too thin.

But Which still has advantages:
- breadth of coverage of topics you really don't want to know too
much about (e.g. washing machines) but really do need to know
about once a decade. And also rapidly changing items that
you need more frequently, e.g. CFL lightbulbs
- general consumer info, e.g. useful "tricks" if you ever
go to the small claims court, plus how to be wise enough
that you don't need to
- long-term reliability and customer service info that simply
cannot be in reviews

My father once said that Which? prevented him from buying
expensive soaps (Imperial Leather, IIRC), and the saving
on that alone was sufficient to pay for a subscription.

Probably a bit of exaggeration, but nonetheless a useful
insight.

Chipper / Shredders Mak Gardening 3 31-07-2007 11:37 PM
MTD 5hp Chipper/Shredder - Chipper blade removal ?? good-boy United Kingdom 0 06-08-2006 04:50 PM
Any experience with Electric Chipper / Shredders? Tom Bloom North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Craftsman Chipper - Shredders J Kolenovsky Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Any experience with Electric Chipper / Shredders? Tom Bloom North Carolina 0 11-03-2003 03:34 AM