Old 29-08-2013, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strange dahlias

My wife raised some Dahlias from seed and gave a lot of them away.
My sister-in-law who was the recipient of some of the plants reported
back that one of the apparent dahlias had produced a plant she could not
identify.

Can some of the experts on this group have a look at the photos at:

http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential
Old 29-08-2013, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

My wife raised some Dahlias from seed and gave a lot of them away.
My sister-in-law who was the recipient of some of the plants reported
back that one of the apparent dahlias had produced a plant she could not
identify.

Can some of the experts on this group have a look at the photos at:

http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Peter

Sorry a faulty link.

Should read:

Old 29-08-2013, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 29/08/2013 13:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:44:56 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Peter James wrote:

My wife raised some Dahlias from seed and gave a lot of them away.
My sister-in-law who was the recipient of some of the plants reported
back that one of the apparent dahlias had produced a plant she could not
identify.

Can some of the experts on this group have a look at the photos at:

http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Peter
Sorry a faulty link.

Should read:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

Peter

Thorn apple? See

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=536

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

Doesn't say much for the garden centre staff, defiantly Thorn apple.
I remember one growing into a magnificient plant in one of the street
planters in the centre of Cardiff around 20 years ago

Yup. Widespread casuals, especially in hotter climates. Unlike
dahlias, where the tubers are edible, all parts of the thorn apple
are lethal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-08-2013, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-29 12:44:56 +0100, Peter James said:

Peter James wrote:

My wife raised some Dahlias from seed and gave a lot of them away.
My sister-in-law who was the recipient of some of the plants reported
back that one of the apparent dahlias had produced a plant she could not
identify.

Can some of the experts on this group have a look at the photos at:

http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Peter

Sorry a faulty link.

Should read:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

Peter

Datura, aka thornapple.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-08-2013, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

My wife raised some Dahlias from seed and gave a lot of them away.
My sister-in-law who was the recipient of some of the plants reported
back that one of the apparent dahlias had produced a plant she could not
identify.

Can some of the experts on this group have a look at the photos at:

http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Peter

Thank you all for the identification of my problem plant.
As always the expertise in this group is second to none.

Peter

--
-
Old 29-08-2013, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:
http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Heh, I've got a huge pile of them after Nick bought me a giant one in
a pot last year, and it seeded everywhere. It's a datura. The spikey
seed pods are really quite painful when you accidentally step on one!

The seeds, fwiw, are dimpled disk shape, kind of dark brown colour, I
think with a white blob at the dimpley side (kind of kidney shaped, I
guess). Can't think what dahlia seeds look like, so not sure how easy
they would be to mix up.

Old 30-08-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Victoria Conlan wrote:
Peter James wrote:
http//www.flickr.com/photos/phredde

They certainly are not dahlias, and I am intrigued and would like to
know what they are.
The local Garden Centre couldn't identify them. We think they came out
of a packet of Thomson and Morgan seed.

Heh, I've got a huge pile of them after Nick bought me a giant one in
a pot last year, and it seeded everywhere. It's a datura. The spikey
seed pods are really quite painful when you accidentally step on one!

Only when ripe, and only to people with soft feet! Those spikes
are quite soft when green and not all that hard when brown.
But I agree that they can be a nasty shock :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

A strange sight at Home Depot...nothing strange at all about their practice! Roy Gardening 3 01-04-2004 07:41 AM
dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM