Old 30-08-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Outdoor tomatoes

I have a very large crop of outdoor tomatoes this year.I sprayed once with Dithane and once with copper,and this seems to have warded of any blight attack.
However with the exceptionally dry and warm weather maybe even these sprays were not strictly necessary.
I wonder if anyone grows the same tomato in a greenhouse and outdoors,and agree that whereas outdoor tomatoes have very good flavour,their skins are rather tough
compared with the same varieties under glass.
Michael
Old 30-08-2013, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 02:33:56 -0700, michael wrote:

I have a very large crop of outdoor tomatoes this year.I sprayed once
with Dithane and once with copper,and this seems to have warded of any
blight attack. However with the exceptionally dry and warm weather maybe
even these sprays were not strictly necessary.
I wonder if anyone grows the same tomato in a greenhouse and
outdoors,and agree that whereas outdoor tomatoes have very good
flavour,their skins are rather tough compared with the same varieties
under glass.
Michael

Depends where in the country you are.

In Suffolk there have been no reports of blight yet - I get emails from
Bligh****ch which tell me of Smith Periods and blight reports.

I find that skins are quite thick on outdoor tomatoes, but the flavour is
very good.

It is a few years since I grew any in a greenhouse.

I generally only grow cherry tomatoes because they are still a bit more
expensive in the shops.

I used to grow full sized tomatoes outside but just before they ripened
they were so cheap in the shops they were practically giving them away.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 30-08-2013, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/08/2013 16:32, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
[...]

I always think it's the best indicator of a good summer. Here in the SE,
the cherry types in south facing containers now have a handful ready to
pick, whereas for the last 2 years nothing has ripened outdoors.
This summer has been what I call normal, the sort of weather I remember
as a kid in the 1950s. Nothing extreme, well, not so far
Old 31-08-2013, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote ...

I have a very large crop of outdoor tomatoes this year.I sprayed once with
Dithane and once with copper,and this seems to have warded of any blight
attack.
However with the exceptionally dry and warm weather maybe even these sprays
were not strictly necessary.
I wonder if anyone grows the same tomato in a greenhouse and outdoors,and
agree that whereas outdoor tomatoes have very good flavour,their skins are
rather tough
compared with the same varieties under glass.

I think it just depends on variety although outdoor Toms grown in allotment
soil might be better fed than pot grown greenhouse ones which may cause the
difference to skin thickness and taste.
Our little Losetto toms have done exceptionally well, we picked 9.5lbs on
Wednesday off 6 plants and it's a blight resistant variety. They have very
thin skins such that if you let them get very ripe on the plant they split
as you try to remove them.
Blight arrived here this week and killed all our Black Russian Toms as I
didn't spray this year at all. The Ferline, Fantasio and Losetto seem
untouched so far (all blight resistant).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-08-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
I have a very large crop of outdoor tomatoes this year.I sprayed once with Dithane and once with copper,and this seems to have warded of any blight attack.
However with the exceptionally dry and warm weather maybe even these sprays were not strictly necessary.

I have blight in the greenhouse, but not (as yet) outdoor. Go figure. :-(
(on the same variety, too)

I wonder if anyone grows the same tomato in a greenhouse and outdoors,and agree that whereas outdoor tomatoes have very good flavour,their skins are rather tough
compared with the same varieties under glass.

Outdoor tomatoes always* have a tougher skin. I presume they are trying to
keep warm!