Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chilly mornings

It's about 10C here this morning but promises to be another beautiful
day when the sun gets a bit higher. The tomatoes are ripening in their
dozens and the gardens are putting on a sort of last hurrah but that
nip in the air definitely heralds autumn.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Much the same here on the Isle of Wight.

How about a report from everybody where ever they are.

What's the weather like with you Judith?

Mike
Isle of Wight

Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...
It's about 10C here this morning but promises to be another beautiful
day when the sun gets a bit higher. The tomatoes are ripening in their
dozens and the gardens are putting on a sort of last hurrah but that nip
in the air definitely heralds autumn.

Temp is about 13C at 09.18 with fine and dry weather here in Leeds
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

It's about 10C here this morning but promises to be another beautiful
day when the sun gets a bit higher.

Ditto here in Normandy. It's about 10 degrees now but when I got up some
two and a half hours ago it was definitely colder than that! I would
guess about 7 to 8 degrees.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-01 11:38:20 +0100, Jake said:

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 07:37:54 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

It's about 10C here this morning but promises to be another beautiful
day when the sun gets a bit higher. The tomatoes are ripening in their
dozens and the gardens are putting on a sort of last hurrah but that
nip in the air definitely heralds autumn.

I was having a potter from 7-9am this morning. Didn't check the
thermometer but it was certainly a decent t-shirt temperature here.

The autumnal herald for me will be getting the leaf blower out
tomorrow (round here we are quiet on Sundays!).

Our herald has arrived - Ray lit the Aga! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-01 14:49:43 +0100, Jake said:

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 12:09:22 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Our herald has arrived - Ray lit the Aga! ;-)

And I've got all the windows open to try to cool the place down a bit
as there's a nice breeze in just the right direction.

Is he just checking it over in anticipation though? I tend to fire up
the central heating in early September just to be on the safe side
ready for when I need it. Before you ask - the service is in June and
that's only the boiler and pump, not the whole shebang. You never know
given the proverbial law of Sod!

It's actually due for servicing soon (twice yearly job) so it will have
to be turned off the night before. If the ch boiler was working
properly, we wouldn't have lit the Aga. However, the person who
services both - and sweeps our chimneys - seems to be away and I can't
raise him, so the Aga is there to take the chill off the mornings, at
least for now. It's been a mostly sunny day but there's a distinct
edge to the breeze and I must say that the wasps have been an almighty
pain. One pair of customers valiantly carried on with their cream tea
even though I offered to take their tray inside for them. They were not
to be cowed by a few wasps trying to join in, whereas I'd have run a
mile!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-01 17:44:30 +0100, Martin said:
snip

Our only wasp hasn't been seen since it went down the back of my
wife's blouse and stung her two days ago.

Ironically, with all these wasps around, one member of the Tea Room
staff was stung by a bee a few days ago! She leaned back against a
work surface and 'ouch'!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Monday at 06:30 BST - 6 degrees in Le Mesnil Villement. Mist visible
down in the valley but clear up higher where we are.

24 degrees promised for this afternoon!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bit overcast here. Rain out in the channel according to the rain radar, but
promises to be a scorcher here. I will be in the Theatre sending out the
latest newsletter to Friends who don't have email.

Hopefully the new back plate for the shredder will turn up today.

Got to give some instructions on making compost in the next few days :-)
Might include it in one of my talks, already booking up my talks for this
coming winter.

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Bit chilly sacha United Kingdom 1 28-12-2014 10:52 PM
Cold? or just a bit chilly? Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 23 06-06-2012 12:52 PM
felling chilly Kate Morgan United Kingdom 16 29-09-2007 11:24 PM
Butterfly ballet's, Vanilla mornings, and Summer tangles madgardener Gardening 0 28-07-2004 01:02 AM
Chilly Aphids! Shiva Roses 0 10-11-2003 07:42 PM