Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Daffs

I hate to break the present Off topic drift of this group.
But.
Can anyone give me names for any Daffs that will flower by the New Year.
David @ a now overcast side of Swansea Bay
Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-04 14:39:34 +0100, David Hill said:

I hate to break the present Off topic drift of this group.
But.
Can anyone give me names for any Daffs that will flower by the New Year.
David @ a now overcast side of Swansea Bay

I can't think of anything that early except forced ones. Do you mean
outdoors or indoors, though? One of the earlyish types is King Alfred
which was the one often planted in Jersey to catch the then flourishing
early flower markets in England. But that's not out until late Feb or
March in the fields.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-04 14:39:34 +0100, David Hill said:

I hate to break the present Off topic drift of this group.
But.
Can anyone give me names for any Daffs that will flower by the New Year.
David @ a now overcast side of Swansea Bay

I can't think of anything that early except forced ones. Do you mean
outdoors or indoors, though? One of the earlyish types is King Alfred
which was the one often planted in Jersey to catch the then flourishing
early flower markets in England. But that's not out until late Feb or
March in the fields.

I mean for growing outside.
In front of the old West Glamorgan county Hall in Swansea they have a
few yellow daffs that flower somewhere between late Dec and the end of Jan.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-04 17:03:37 +0000, Jake said:

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:39:34 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I hate to break the present Off topic drift of this group.
But.
Can anyone give me names for any Daffs that will flower by the New Year.
David @ a now overcast side of Swansea Bay

According to the RHS, Paper White and Tete-a-tete can flower at
Christmas if planted in September. I quote " Their natural flowering
period is January or February, but good quality bulbs will flower in 6
to 10 weeks from planting". Depends what you mean by "daffs" though.

Could be wrong but I had the impression David meant real, proper yellow
daffs! ;-) I like very much the ones you mention but wouldn't -
personally - call them daffs.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/09/2013 19:56, Jake wrote:
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 18:21:41 +0100, sacha wrote:

Could be wrong but I had the impression David meant real, proper yellow
daffs! ;-) I like very much the ones you mention but wouldn't -
personally - call them daffs.

I think he did too and I wouldn't either. But seeing his other reply
to you, I'd bet that out of wads of bulbs, a few just happen to flower
early. I'd be very surprised if anyone there has any record of what
varieties were planted though I'd guess a "cheap and cheerful" mix.

If I may join in this conversation.
I was brought up with Daffs being yellow with a long trumpet, and
Narcissus having short trumpets.
David @ a still warm side of Swansea Bay