GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storage of tall garden tools (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208258-storage-tall-garden-tools.html)

T Bently 04-09-2013 12:53 PM

Storage of tall garden tools

is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like: hoes,
rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of tools; but
dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions please?

'Mike'[_4_] 04-09-2013 07:41 PM

Storage of tall garden tools

The alternative to 'tall' is 'long'. How about on a pair of shelf brackets
high up under the eaves of the shed or garage?

Or slid under the shed if yours is like mine on bearers.

Does it have to be in the open? Can they slide under the car in the garage.

Look at long as opposed to high.

Mike

David Hill 04-09-2013 08:33 PM

On 04/09/2013 12:53, T Bently wrote:
is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like: hoes,
rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of tools; but
dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions please?

Where?
in your garden , on an allotment or where?

[email protected] 04-09-2013 08:45 PM

Storage of tall garden tools

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:53:11 +0100, "T Bently"
wrote:

is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like: hoes,
rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of tools; but
dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions please?

If the water table allows get a manhole bored and lined using the
plastic lining materials available at builders merchants , make it
just deeper than your tallest implement and put a plastic lid on it.

G.Harman

T Bently 04-09-2013 09:28 PM

wrote:

is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like: hoes,
rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of tools;
but
dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions please?

If the water table allows get a manhole bored and lined using the
plastic lining materials available at builders merchants , make it
just deeper than your tallest implement and put a plastic lid on it.

G.Harman

Thanks. Its in my own private (very small) garden. i could not envisage
digging a hole as deep as the long handles (i'm quite tall) i bought for my
hoe and rake.

Janet 04-09-2013 11:14 PM

Storage of tall garden tools

In article , lid says...

is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like: hoes,
rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of tools; but
dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions please?

Our previous garden was very large and the veg garden some distance
from the tool sheds. So to keep tools dry at the veg plot, J made me an
store like an open fronted sentry box just tall enough for hoes etc,
with an apex roof. It cost nothing other than the paint. Apart from the
tall uprights (trawled from skip) the rest of the wood was from old
pallets.

Janet.

Baz[_3_] 05-09-2013 05:10 PM

Storage of tall garden tools

"T Bently" wrote in
:

is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like:
hoes, rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of
tools; but dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions
please?

My advice would be to buy tools for the garden which can be left ouside.
Mine, on the alotment and at home are....left, where I last used them,
apart from the rake. That one has a habit of reninding you exactly where
you left it!
They are all made out of various metals, handle/shaft and all. Coated with
something to stop 'em corroding.
I have had mine 5 years now. I also use my spade as a crowbar.

Baz

David Hill 05-09-2013 08:18 PM

wrote:

is there a good means of conviently storing tall garden tools like: hoes,
rakes, etc, in the open; whilst keeping the rain off?

i know there are small but tall plastic sheds, for these kind of tools;
but
dont want to go down that road. Any other suggestions please?

If the water table allows get a manhole bored and lined using the
plastic lining materials available at builders merchants , make it
just deeper than your tallest implement and put a plastic lid on it.

G.Harman

Thanks. Its in my own private (very small) garden. i could not envisage
digging a hole as deep as the long handles (i'm quite tall) i bought for my
hoe and rake.

Next Monday Lidl have a set of hooks on offer

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-50...Detail&id=5517
You could fix these to the wall with a baton above with polythene fixed
to it to keep the rain off (if you fastened a baton to the bottom of the
polythene as well its weight would hold the sheet down)
The tools could then be layed along the hooks.
Total cost less than £10.
David @ a still dry side of Swansea Bay