Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default re datura

Jimson weed
As I mentioned before this plant is dangerous very much so!
It far beats LSD for a trip only problem is you don't come back
Most animals know of its dangers instinctively most humans
cannot They think they know better.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/09/2013 14:31, leslie wrote:
Jimson weed
As I mentioned before this plant is dangerous very much so!
It far beats LSD for a trip only problem is you don't come back
Most animals know of its dangers instinctively most humans
cannot They think they know better.

More hysterical rubbish.

Off topic I guess but maybe of some interest (and it is about eating
garden produce).

Years ago, I knew a group of people that ate the seeds on a number of
occasions. It was quite entertaining to be a baby sitter (and boy, they
needed one).

I seem to recall that the first phase after ingestion had the users
lying down and reporting feeling incredibly heavy and being 'pushed'
into the ground.

After that, when the main effects kicked in, they became quite mobile at
times and *very* tripped out. Most inhibitions seemed to disappear for
periods - people unzipping and peeing where they stood (or squatted in
some cases).

I know of some people that went outside whilst tripped out on it - and
that was really dangerous as they had no idea that you need to be
careful around traffic.

It seems that the hallucinations were extremely vivid - people spending
long periods watching the waves on the sea coming in and out in a
cupboard; watching big name bands play in the bathroom, etc. At times
they were quite lucid, describing the hallucinations in considerable
detail.

In fact, the typical hallucinatory effects seemed to be interspersed
with extreme lucidity which you could almost mistake for normal
conversation. (But I think the huge pupils gave the lie to that).

I think some of the main ingredients are atropine and scopolomine - but
I'm sure there are other ingredients (alkaloids?) that provide it's
unique 'effects'.

I recall that the effects lasted a long time - up to a couple of days I
think - and that afterwards, users could recall absolutely nothing of
the experience. (Another reason for needing a baby sitter - to tell
them what they missed

It certainly wouldn't be for me and I absolutely wouldn't recommend it,
but I knew nobody who died (and some took a lot of seeds) or suffered
any short or long term ill effects (other than the hallucinationary
period). The other plant parts might be more poisonous?

The reason for mentioning it here is just to say that there is little
point in hysterical talk presaging it as the next end of the world.

In fact, I think there is evidence of the seeds being used in ritual
(probably smoking) and for medicinal purposes at various stages in
history/pre-history (although I think these are all outside UK - so
off-topic in urg

--
regards
andy

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
Are Datura Harmful to Hens? Any Other Plants to Avoid? Andy United Kingdom 4 31-03-2003 08:32 AM
Where can I find "datura" which was mentioned above? will Texas 0 07-02-2003 05:16 AM
What to do with my Datura? Andy United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 02:52 PM