Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Obtaining seeds

During the site clearance I have picked off a good number of seed
capsules from both Callistemon (Bottle Brush) and Melaleuca (Tea tree)
that died around 2 years ago.
My Question is how do I get the seeds out?
They have been well smoked during the cut and clear that has been going on.
David @ a now drying side of Swansea Bay.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2013 10:30, David Hill wrote:
During the site clearance I have picked off a good number of seed
capsules from both Callistemon (Bottle Brush) and Melaleuca (Tea tree)
that died around 2 years ago.
My Question is how do I get the seeds out?
They have been well smoked during the cut and clear that has been going on.
David @ a now drying side of Swansea Bay.

They need heat to open. Smoke may help them germinate after they have
been sown..

Put the capsules on a metal tray and into a cool oven. Temperature and
time can vary, but I'd start off with a low temperature (around 100°C)
for at least 30 minutes. Shake now and again to see if any of the
capsules are open. If none are open, increase to around 120°C. Increase
time to an hour.

Viability can vary tremendously as vast amounts of seed can be produced.

BTW, are you definitely sure when you mention "melaleuca" and "tea
tree"? There is a lot of confusion around, as sometimes that
combination is used as "leptospermum" and "ti tree". In general, a
leptospermum is more likely to survive outside in the UK than a
melaleuca.(you didn't say whether or not yours had been growing inside
or not).

--

Jeff
Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2013 13:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

They were both growing inside the glasshouse when it came down, they
were both around 8 years old and flowered well each year, the bottle
brush being much more spectacular and always flowering during Chelsea week.
I thought about the oven, but don't want to cook the seed,
I thought they only got a flash heating as the natural fires burned past
them.
David @ a now sunny side of Swansea bay
Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2013 10:30, David Hill wrote:
During the site clearance I have picked off a good number of seed
capsules from both Callistemon (Bottle Brush) and Melaleuca (Tea tree)
that died around 2 years ago.
My Question is how do I get the seeds out?
They have been well smoked during the cut and clear that has been going on.
David @ a now drying side of Swansea Bay.

Hope this link works for you. I found it by typing "How to open
callistemon capsules" (minus the ""s).

http://asgap.org.au/callis2.html

If it helps, try the "How to ..." approach with the Melaleuca.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/09/2013 19:04, Spider wrote:
On 09/09/2013 10:30, David Hill wrote:
During the site clearance I have picked off a good number of seed
capsules from both Callistemon (Bottle Brush) and Melaleuca (Tea tree)
that died around 2 years ago.
My Question is how do I get the seeds out?
They have been well smoked during the cut and clear that has been
going on.
David @ a now drying side of Swansea Bay.

Hope this link works for you. I found it by typing "How to open
callistemon capsules" (minus the ""s).

http://asgap.org.au/callis2.html

If it helps, try the "How to ..." approach with the Melaleuca.

Thanks for that link, but it doesn't say what "Warm" is, I have a
feeling that Australian warm is different to UK warm.
Also doesn't sat what to do with the capsules that don't open in 2 or 3
days,
Looks as if it will be the oven for some to see what happens