Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What the hell is wrong with this group?

I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Here here!

I post less here these days due to it.

Mike
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Here here!

I post less here these days due to it.

Sadly this has become the disease of the whole of 'usenet'.
It has become the home of kinks, kooks, scammers and
trolls. UKSciWeather has lost most of its professional
participants and is rapidly going down the drain. It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

Phil

Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in news:b95jhdFtsjjU1
@mid.individual.net:

I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

And a very amusing joke. Well, it made me and my mates chuckle.

Baz
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

I deplore the use of Latin plurals :-). Thought I'd better include the
smiley......

Old 09-09-2013, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote in news:8uhXt.32275
:

It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

I deplore the use of Latin plurals :-). Thought I'd better include the
smiley......

So is forums better? Or have I got the wrong end of the sticka?

Baz
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2013 12:24, Baz wrote:
stuart noble wrote in news:8uhXt.32275
:

It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

I deplore the use of Latin plurals :-). Thought I'd better include the
smiley......

So is forums better? Or have I got the wrong end of the sticka?

Baz

Nope, not gonna bite on that one.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday 09 September 2013 12:24 Baz wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

stuart noble wrote in news:8uhXt.32275
:

It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

I deplore the use of Latin plurals :-). Thought I'd better include the
smiley......

So is forums better? Or have I got the wrong end of the sticka?

Baz

So why not take urg into moderated status?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 16:10:34 +0100, Tim Watts said:

On Monday 09 September 2013 12:24 Baz wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

stuart noble wrote in news:8uhXt.32275
:

It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

I deplore the use of Latin plurals :-). Thought I'd better include the
smiley......

So is forums better? Or have I got the wrong end of the sticka?

Baz

So why not take urg into moderated status?

Partly because not everyone welcomes that idea and partly because who
would want to be moderator?! It's a bit of a thankless task. But if it
were to be a moderated group, it might be better to start a new one,
imo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:43:10 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants
jump on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Nothing is really 'wrong' with this ng. Since the early days of Usenet
participants have disagreed or been intolerant with one another. It is
the nature of the medium.

If one gets particularly upset with someone for whatever reason use a
killfile.
--
rbel

Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

But if it
were to be a moderated group, it might be better to start a new one,
imo.

Moderated groups tend to be kind of sterile, which goes against what we
gardeners hope for.... pointless arguments will always be with us* visit
any pub in any country- and using your reader's "ignore thread" and
killfile features helps a lot.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with this group.

*See Cleese et al.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-09 17:47:35 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Sacha wrote:

But if it
were to be a moderated group, it might be better to start a new one,
imo.

Moderated groups tend to be kind of sterile, which goes against what we
gardeners hope for.... pointless arguments will always be with us* visit
any pub in any country- and using your reader's "ignore thread" and
killfile features helps a lot.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with this group.

*See Cleese et al.

I agree. My own view is that this is a real treasure trove of
information for gardening at every level and all of us can receive help
and learn from others all the time. And I know there are people who
lurk and don't post and they'd miss out in a moderated group. The
persistent troll, or the occasional idiot that wanders in, don't
detract from the overall value of urg, imo. But quibbles about
spelling and grammar would be better left at the door, again imo only,
of course. Plenty of people are dyslexic to a greater or lesser degree
and really should not be dissuaded from posting here because someone
persists in objecting to errors. While sometimes it's necessary to
correct the spelling of plant names for the sake of good information,
the rest should be overlooked.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I post a joke,
Baz posts a question about Kilner jars
and many more items are posted and almost instantly a group of Pedants jump
on the topic and start a diatribe.
For Gods sake people Lighten Up.
This is a Gardening group not a Political correctness group.

Yes I did notice that but it's happened since this Ng was founded. I myself
got into some hot water years ago when I first subscribed and quickly learnt
to be careful what I get sucked into.
Gardening by it's very nature can have lots of correct answers for many
questions so arguments do and will happen, one just has to accept that.
Unfortunately, over the years, some knowledgeable members have gone from the
Ng because they could not accept being told they were wrong, which is sad.
None of us know it all or get it all correct and seldom a week goes by
without me adding to my knowledge.

Personally I think we are still OK here, unlike a lot of Usenet, and
certainly still do share our collective extensive experience/knowledge with
anyone that asks. Long may that continue.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-09-09 17:47:35 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Sacha wrote:

[...]

I agree.
And I like your creative spelling of Dislexick.:-)

Baz
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote in news:%2jXt.20893$kI.10236
@fx06.am4:

On 09/09/2013 12:24, Baz wrote:
stuart noble wrote in news:8uhXt.32275
:

It does
seem that moderated fora are the only way forward.

I deplore the use of Latin plurals :-). Thought I'd better include the
smiley......

So is forums better? Or have I got the wrong end of the sticka?

Baz

Nope, not gonna bite on that one.

Don't blame yourself.
Esto tutemet ipse. (?)

Baz

Apologies Wrong Group :) Roknound Orchid Photos 0 19-11-2006 08:15 PM
Sorry wrong group:-) Josh Mills Ponds 0 28-03-2004 10:12 PM
apologies for post below... wrong group Mentalmick Lawns 0 15-01-2004 06:42 PM
Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-04-2003 07:32 PM