GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pigeons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208283-pigeons.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 09-09-2013 11:57 AM

Pigeons

Why are the Pigeons gathering nesting materials?

Mike

Broadback[_3_] 09-09-2013 03:53 PM

Pigeons

On 09/09/2013 10:57, 'Mike' wrote:
Why are the Pigeons gathering nesting materials?

Mike

I understand that pigeon nest all year round. No doubt someone will be
along to put me right and say that is an urban myth.

Darkside 09-09-2013 05:50 PM

Pigeons

In article , Broadback messageboards@j-
towill.co.uk writes
On 09/09/2013 10:57, 'Mike' wrote:
Why are the Pigeons gathering nesting materials?

I understand that pigeon nest all year round. No doubt someone will be
along to put me right and say that is an urban myth.

D'you mean urban pigeons nest all year round?
The "wood" pigeons here are certainly at it at the moment.
--
Sue ]:(:)

'Mike'[_4_] 10-09-2013 08:56 AM

Pigeons

So therefore the fact that we, and lots of other gardeners feed the birds in
general make the Pigeons nest build and breed. Why not the other birds?

Mike

"Alf King" wrote in message

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 14:53:17 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 09/09/2013 10:57, 'Mike' wrote:
Why are the Pigeons gathering nesting materials?

Mike

I understand that pigeon nest all year round. No doubt someone will be
along to put me right and say that is an urban myth.

Pigeons in this country will breed whenever there is the opportunity
of food being available to rear their broods. i believe that there
have been breeding records from virtually all of the months of the
year, for feral pigeons at least.
Alf King

Broadback[_3_] 10-09-2013 12:26 PM

Pigeons

wrote:

On 09/09/2013 10:57, 'Mike' wrote:
Why are the Pigeons gathering nesting materials?

Mike

I understand that pigeon nest all year round. No doubt someone will be
along to put me right and say that is an urban myth.

Pigeons in this country will breed whenever there is the opportunity
of food being available to rear their broods. i believe that there
have been breeding records from virtually all of the months of the
year, for feral pigeons at least.
Alf King

I do not think that the feeding is relevant. I assume you meant wood
pigeons, as that is what we have in excess around here. As they have
only recently become "domesticated" whereas I understand they bred all
the year round before that.

'Mike'[_4_] 10-09-2013 01:42 PM

Pigeons

Well I never knew that!!

Cheers

Mike

"Alf King" wrote in message

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:56:30 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

So therefore the fact that we, and lots of other gardeners feed the birds
in
general make the Pigeons nest build and breed. Why not the other birds?

Mike

Pigeons feed their young on "milk" which is created in their crop from
what they can find, mostly seeds and other vegetation; they can make
this all year round. Almost all other birds feed their young on
invertebrates which are pretty scarce in cold weather.

Alf King