Old 11-09-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Large black dragonfly

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-09-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ..

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...

http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-11 17:19:26 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

Thanks so much, Bob. I'll try it out on the person who saw it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-11 17:19:26 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..

I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

It was this one, Bob. I talked today to one of the staff who'd seen it
here and another who'd seen it at her mother's home in Wales. Gorgeous
thing!
http://www.dragonfly-images.co.uk/#/...fly/4531807174
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-09-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2013-09-11 17:19:26 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ..
I didn't see it but a largeish black dragonfly was seen in one of the
greenhouses the other day. It's not a type we've seen round here
before and it's thought 'he' was at the end of his life as the wings
were very tattered. I just hope the pond was discovered and eggs laid
by a female.

Probably one of these...
http://www.british-dragonflies.org.u...s/black-darter

It was this one, Bob. I talked today to one of the staff who'd seen it
here and another who'd seen it at her mother's home in Wales. Gorgeous
thing!
http://www.dragonfly-images.co.uk/#/...fly/4531807174

They're splendid animals, aren't they?

It's worth noting that they patrol territories, so that if you see one
flying past, or perched and you disturb it, just wait where you are and
in a few minutes time it is very likely to come by again.

Thanks, Malcolm. Apparently, the one seen here was indeed seen in
exactly the same spot a couple of days later. But we don't know if it
had returned or just hadn't moved! I hope very much we see it again -
I've never seen it yet! We've had lots of dragonflies and damselflies
around this year but nobody's ever seen this species before.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

New dragonfly Bob H Ponds 1 27-07-2003 01:22 AM
OT, Sorta: Dragonfly Nymphs LeeAnne Ponds 3 17-06-2003 01:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM