Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in that gap?
If so how do I get around the stump thing without having to get them dug
out. If it is possible, what plants would grow quickly to fill it the gap
please?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-09-2013, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:31:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The
stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in that gap?
If so how do I get around the stump thing without having to get them dug
out. If it is possible, what plants would grow quickly to fill it the gap
please?

We planted beech.

Over the stumps and roots?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-09-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:36:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The
stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in that
gap?
If so how do I get around the stump thing without having to get them dug
out. If it is possible, what plants would grow quickly to fill it the
gap
please?

We planted beech.

Over the stumps and roots?

You have to solve the stump problem first.

I was wondering whether I could raise the soil level and plant something
like privet? The rest of the hedge is laylandii

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The
stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in
that gap?
If so how do I get around the stump thing without having to get
them dug
out. If it is possible, what plants would grow quickly to fill it
the gap
please?

We planted beech.

Over the stumps and roots?

You have to solve the stump problem first.

I was wondering whether I could raise the soil level and plant something
like privet? The rest of the hedge is laylandii

If you like Laylandi then plant another at each side of the stump, when
they are tall enough bend them down over the stump and fasten them down.
the side branches will grow up to give you a number of vertical shoots
and treat these as you would a new hedge, clip as required
Old 11-09-2013, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

If you like Laylandi then plant another at each side of the stump, when
they are tall enough bend them down over the stump and fasten them down.
the side branches will grow up to give you a number of vertical shoots and
treat these as you would a new hedge, clip as required

Thank you very much!!! Passed onto Himself and he sends thanks also He
says he will try that

ps not crazy about leylandii but at least it will match the rest!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-09-2013, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Ballerina roses are good gap fillers and grow fairly quickly even if
they are partially obstructed by old stumps.

Steve

Old 11-09-2013, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The
stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in that gap?
If so how do I get around the stump thing without having to get them dug
out. If it is possible, what plants would grow quickly to fill it the gap
please?

--

Ballerina roses are good gap fillers and grow fairly quickly even if
they are partially obstructed by old stumps.

Thanks, Steve! He is going to try the leyandii thingy, but I can think of
a couple of places where those roses might be useful!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The
stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in that
gap?
If so how do I get around the stump thing without having to get them dug
out. If it is possible, what plants would grow quickly to fill it the
gap
please?

--

Ballerina roses are good gap fillers and grow fairly quickly even if
they are partially obstructed by old stumps.

Thanks, Steve! He is going to try the leyandii thingy, but I can think
of
a couple of places where those roses might be useful!

The companies that have been replacing sewer and water pipes in our
road since March started by cutting down all the trees in the road.
They used a tool that attaches to a mechanical digger to pull stumps
and roots out of the pavements.I was impressed at how easy it was.
The same digger with a bull dozer attachment was used to "weed" what
had been grass before they started. It also accidentally bent a large
street lamp 45 degrees to the vertical.

Unfortunately, we don't own such a beast, so we are trying to work around
them)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:30:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

m...
wrote:

We have a gap in our hedge where some trees have been cut down. The
stumps
are still there. Is there anything I can grow there to fill in that
gap?

snip
The companies that have been replacing sewer and water pipes in our
road since March started by cutting down all the trees in the road.
They used a tool that attaches to a mechanical digger to pull stumps
and roots out of the pavements.I was impressed at how easy it was.
The same digger with a bull dozer attachment was used to "weed" what
had been grass before they started. It also accidentally bent a large
street lamp 45 degrees to the vertical.

Unfortunately, we don't own such a beast, so we are trying to work around
them)

Maybe rent or borrow?

Somebody found a grenade in a box in one of the lock up garages in the
street behind our house. ATM the street is full of police cars plus a
cop on a bike. Would the contents of the box do the trick?

Bring them on and let's see
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
Beech Hedge Jimbo United Kingdom 3 04-06-2003 04:56 PM
New Common Laurel Hedge Dying? Miles United Kingdom 1 25-04-2003 08:45 PM
Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green' Phil Gardening 6 19-03-2003 03:20 PM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM