Old 13-09-2013, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlia coccinea

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-09-2013, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-13 16:47:20 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 16:18:34 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Picture is of a little girl, possibly Chinese, pulling a large panda
toy!

There is a message "We’re aware of the problem and are fixing it.
Thanks for your patience.", so I assume she's not the Dahlia in
question! :-)

Now, I saw that this morning when I first tried to upload some photos.
'They' were doing something or other to Flickr and it was out of action
for a while. This afternoon, I tried again and all seemed to go
perfectly smoothly. Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I'll go back and
try to see what's going on!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-09-2013, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Picture is of a little girl, possibly Chinese, pulling a large panda
toy!

There is a message "We’re aware of the problem and are fixing it.
Thanks for your patience.", so I assume she's not the Dahlia in
question! :-)

Now, I saw that this morning when I first tried to upload some photos.
'They' were doing something or other to Flickr and it was out of action
for a while. This afternoon, I tried again and all seemed to go
perfectly smoothly. Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I'll go back and
try to see what's going on!

Should be back to normal soon, it not right now, according to the Twitterati!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-09-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Picture is of a little girl, possibly Chinese, pulling a large panda
toy!

There is a message "We’re aware of the problem and are fixing it.
Thanks for your patience.", so I assume she's not the Dahlia in
question! :-)

Now, I saw that this morning when I first tried to upload some photos.
'They' were doing something or other to Flickr and it was out of
action for a while. This afternoon, I tried again and all seemed to
go perfectly smoothly. Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I'll go back
and try to see what's going on!

Should be back to normal soon, it not right now, according to the
Twitterati!

Picture comes through OK Sacha.
As to the dahlia I have to say I don't know.
I don't think it's a species Coccinea but the name has been taken up by
the seed companies and they throw out so much under the name "Coccinea".
To me their flower look a little large,and the petals to full, but when
you look at the picture on the Thompson and Morgan site you will see
what I mean by the seed companies and their work.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowe...s-mixed/7911TM
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay.
Old 13-09-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Apparently, the National Dahlia collection is held at Great Dixter. On
their web site they have this:
http://www.national-dahlia-collectio...at-dixter.html
which looks nothing like yours.

How confused can you be?
The national Dahlia Collection is held at Varfell Farm near Penzance.
http://www.national-dahlia-collectio...the-collection
Coccinea Great Dixter is one of 4 coccinea they list
David Hill

Old 13-09-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

David Hill - or any Dahlia afficionado, am I correct in thinking this
is Dahlia coccinea?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...n/photostream/

Apparently, the National Dahlia collection is held at Great Dixter. On
their web site they have this:
http://www.national-dahlia-collectio...at-dixter.html
which looks nothing like yours.

How confused can you be?
The national Dahlia Collection is held at Varfell Farm near Penzance.
http://www.national-dahlia-collectio...the-collection
Coccinea Great Dixter is one of 4 coccinea they list
David Hill

Thanks to you and to Chris. And just to top it off, I've read something
that says D. coccinea can vary wildly in colour! I was interested to
see that this one seemed to be closing at dusk, or showing signs of
that sort of behaviour. Otoh, it's not the 4' tall that some sources
sayd D. coccinea gets to. I like it very much because it's a simple
flower of a good, clear colour.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-09-2013, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have one D. Coccinea species that is standing at almost 9ft with a
couple of others at close to 8ft
Old 14-09-2013, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Wow! Wildly variable then! The D. imperialis is coming up in the garden
but of course, it's never going to reach full height and/or flower now,
I would think. We thought it had given up altogether and suddenly
noticed it cowering amongst other stuff and now about 5' tall. I must
go out and see what last night's rain did to the Dahlias in the front
of the house. It was really lashing down at one point. Here's a pic
taken the night before - thank goodness!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9736964024/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-09-2013, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Here are a couple of pics of the Coccinea I took before lunch first is
over 9ft tall
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...71759.jpg.html
The 2nd, the yellow is now around 6ft tall
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...ef421.jpg.html
With both the flowers are 2 to 3 inches accross.
I have 2 beds of dahlias from seed on trial
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...cba42.jpg.html
A lot of interesting ones there
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...5b79e.jpg.html
This shows the size of the flowers
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...c727f.jpg.html
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...58d27.jpg.html
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay
Old 14-09-2013, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Like that very much. It looks like a taller version of the one I posted
yesterday, as to flower form.

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...71759.jpg.html

The 2nd, the yellow is now around 6ft tall

Another goody and a lovely clear yellow.

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...ef421.jpg.html

With both the flowers are 2 to 3 inches accross.
I have 2 beds of dahlias from seed on trial
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...cba42.jpg.html

A lot of interesting ones there

You certainly haven't been wsting your time!

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...5b79e.jpg.html

This shows the size of the flowers

Very, very pretty, I really do like that one.
http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...c727f.jpg.html

http://s240.photobucket.com/user/taf...58d27.jpg.html

Love that white one! It's a very elegant flower and that huge boss in
the middle really sets it off. You've got some smashing plants there,
David!

David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Salvia Coccinea : "Lady in Red" question [email protected] United Kingdom 0 13-05-2005 11:34 AM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
David's Dahlia Starlord Gardening 0 10-02-2003 03:55 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM