Old 13-09-2013, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poorly raspberries

I had an excellent crop of raspberries this Summer. However now I have
cut down the old canes I find that of the stools, which are planted
against a South facing wall, those at the easterly end have no new
canes. It has a few very deformed poor ones. I have grown them here with
no problems for the last 4 years. Is it probable that the problem will
worsen next year? Further East, separated by steps, are a similar row of
Autumn raspberries, three years old. I have not found them satisfactory
so will remove them this Autumn. Will I be OK replacing them with more
Summer fruiting ones?
Old 14-09-2013, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:46:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I had an excellent crop of raspberries this Summer. However now I have
cut down the old canes I find that of the stools, which are planted
against a South facing wall, those at the easterly end have no new
canes. It has a few very deformed poor ones. I have grown them here with
no problems for the last 4 years. Is it probable that the problem will
worsen next year? Further East, separated by steps, are a similar row of
Autumn raspberries, three years old. I have not found them satisfactory
so will remove them this Autumn. Will I be OK replacing them with more
Summer fruiting ones?

IANAE but am told that ALL raspberries pick up viruses and become less
productive after a few years. This being the case my guess would be that
fresh ground would be a better bet for your new plants.

hth

Derek

Poorly pond - update (longish) Smith Ponds (alternative) 0 09-07-2003 09:20 PM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 05:56 PM
poorly Ceanothus proteus Gardening 2 31-05-2003 04:44 PM
wisteria poorly minerva nine Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Poorly Lemon tree sparky United Kingdom 7 13-12-2002 10:32 AM