Old 14-09-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Asphalt costs

I have just been quoted £2,700 for asphalting 42 square metres of driveway. It did include granite set kerbs at each end and some slightly fiddly work round a doorstep. This is to renew a previously asphalted section so the hard base is there.

The contractor reckoned it would take two days but I don't know how large a crew that would involve. I would have thought two people could easily do the work in that time.

This seems expensive to me. Does anyone else have any experience of pricing that sort of work?

Thanks

Jonathan
Old 14-09-2013, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

""A fool and his money are soon parted""

Now get another quote and tell them that 'you have a price just under
£1,500,what do you think?'

Mike

Old 14-09-2013, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/09/2013 18:34, 'Mike' wrote:
""A fool and his money are soon parted""

Now get another quote and tell them that 'you have a price just under
£1,500,what do you think?'

Mike

That paying too little is worse than paying too much, because the job
will have to be done again. So it will cost what you paid for the first
lousy job plus the fee for the decent job.

Use someone from Checkatrade or something similar.

--

Jeff

Old 14-09-2013, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 19:17:26 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 14/09/2013 18:34, 'Mike' wrote:
""A fool and his money are soon parted""

Now get another quote and tell them that 'you have a price just under
£1,500,what do you think?'

Mike

That paying too little is worse than paying too much, because the job
will have to be done again. So it will cost what you paid for the first
lousy job plus the fee for the decent job.

You are right of course. There is an old saying, "buy cheap, buy
twice". Once again 'Mike' shows his ignorance of business.

With a job like that you need three written quotes stating exactly
what they propose to do, so you can compare not just the price but the
job they will do for the money.
Old 14-09-2013, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 14/09/2013 18:34, 'Mike' wrote:
""A fool and his money are soon parted""

Now get another quote and tell them that 'you have a price just under
£1,500,what do you think?'

Mike

That paying too little is worse than paying too much, because the job
will have to be done again. So it will cost what you paid for the first
lousy job plus the fee for the decent job.

You are right of course. There is an old saying, "buy cheap, buy
twice". Once again 'Mike' shows his ignorance of business.

With a job like that you need three written quotes stating exactly
what they propose to do, so you can compare not just the price but the
job they will do for the money.

And an address not just a mobile number.

Old 14-09-2013, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

One of the good things about this forum/newsgroup, is that you are always
sure of a good laugh at some of the subscribers.

Keep it up folks.

Even though I have a Free TV Licence, I, (and others) find the postings here
more amusing and entertaining than East Enders :-))

Have ANY of you stood back and looked at what you post? I know you are an
elite clique, but not of this world are you?

Mike

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

Old 14-09-2013, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/09/2013 19:24, Jake wrote:

Answering from a commercial perspective (rather than residential - I
deal in much larger areas),the price actually worries me a bit.

Whilst it won't help with pricing, a bit of time spent at
http://www.pavingexpert.com/tarmac01.htm#wc may help you to work out
for yourself what should be involved and, if nothing else, give you
some questions to ask - much can depend on the type of coating used.
Sometimes being able to ask a few more detailed questions - such as
about the composition of the surface - will indicate to a contractor
that you know what you're talking about and that they can't
necessarily get away with something.

In any event, I would get at least 3 quotations and ask for local
references where you can visit examples of their work. And warranties
(preferably insurance backed for that sort of outlay)!

Simply laying a new surface on top of an existing one can be
ineffective in the long term (if the timing of the work would
potentially co-incide with the appearance of frosts, beware!). If I
were doing the job properly, I would lift the existing tarmac, repack
the substrate and relay a new surface from there. For the area
involved, and assuming a driveway opening onto a road within a
residential area where "blockages" need to be minimised, 2 days would
not be enough.

Frankly, I think the contractor's quotation is too cheap. Caveat
emptor.

Thanks for that link, Jake, it is very useful.

--

Jeff
Old 14-09-2013, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
I have just been quoted £2,700 for asphalting 42 square metres of driveway.
It did include granite set kerbs at each end and some slightly fiddly work
round a doorstep. This is to renew a previously asphalted section so the
hard base is there.

The contractor reckoned it would take two days but I don't know how large a
crew that would involve. I would have thought two people could easily do the
work in that time.

This seems expensive to me. Does anyone else have any experience of pricing
that sort of work?

Thanks

Jonathan

I had an asphalt drive when I moved here but it deteriorated and broke up
after a few years. Rather than have another one similar I bit the bullet
and paid quite a lot to more have it block paved - which is still perfect
after 15 years (except for the weeds in the cracks) which I have to use a
hoe for every few weeks. Mainly dandelions which my chickens enjoy.

Old 14-09-2013, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote ...

wrote:

[...]

I love the bit where it says " Tack coat 'breaks' (dries/sets/cures) in
10-15 minutes and is incredibly sticky when it does, so precautions may need
to be taken to prevent operatives or vehicles crossing treated areas and
picking up the bitumen emulsion as they pass. "

My neighbour and I hot laid red tarmac on top of a concrete drive and used a
tack coat applied by broom. Lovely job except my mad cat decided to run up
the drive over the now very sticky Tack Coat. Naturally he gradually slowed
to a stop and got glued to the surface at half way, he did look pathetic,
and I then had to walk onto the drive to retrieve the stuck cat nearly
getting stuck myself and then wash his paws off with white spirit before
continuing with our job. I thought my neighbour was going to split his sides
laughing.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.