Old 16-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Registered User

Default Cannas

I live in south east england and with the colder weather looming, can anyone advise as how to protect my cannas please?
Old 16-09-2013, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-16 08:29:56 +0100, brid said:

I live in south east england and with the colder weather looming, can
anyone advise as how to protect my cannas please?

If they're in the ground and you can't bring them into a dry,
frost-free environment, put some canes round them and drape
horticultural fleece over and around them, anchoring it down with
stones. If you're a user of Facebook, there's a group there called
Hardy Tropicals and a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people
there are growing such plants outdoors. They frequently compare notes
as to progress and protection.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-09-2013, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-09-16 08:29:56 +0100, brid said:

I live in south east england and with the colder weather looming, can
anyone advise as how to protect my cannas please?

If they're in the ground and you can't bring them into a dry,
frost-free environment, put some canes round them and drape
horticultural fleece over and around them, anchoring it down with
stones. If you're a user of Facebook, there's a group there called
Hardy Tropicals and a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people
there are growing such plants outdoors. They frequently compare notes
as to progress and protection.

It also depends critically WHERE you are in the south-east. If in
the Oxford/Bedford/Cambridge area, it is very unlikely that covering
them will be enough.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-09-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/09/2013 08:29, brid wrote:
I live in south east england and with the colder weather looming, can
anyone advise as how to protect my cannas please?

I'd treat them like dahlias, after the first frost, lift and store frost
free. Replant in the spring.

Old 16-09-2013, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-16 10:19:46 +0100, David Hill said:

On 16/09/2013 08:29, brid wrote:
I live in south east england and with the colder weather looming, can
anyone advise as how to protect my cannas please?

I'd treat them like dahlias, after the first frost, lift and store
frost free. Replant in the spring.

That would probably be safest. The OP could grow them in pots, plunge
them in summer and lift them in autumn. But having the right place to
keep them over winter is important, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com