Old 17-09-2013, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID please :)

Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

NT
Old 19-09-2013, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/09/2013 22:45, wrote:
Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

NT

I've looked at this (it *seems* familiar), but there's not much to go
on. Can you tell us more about the rest of the plant and where it was
growing ie in what conditions.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 19-09-2013, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:07:21 PM UTC+1, Spider wrote:
On 17/09/2013 22:45, wrote:

Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

I've looked at this (it *seems* familiar), but there's not much to go
on. Can you tell us more about the rest of the plant and where it was
growing ie in what conditions.

Sorry, I'll try get a better picture next time I'm there. At the moment its all I have/know.

NT
Old 19-09-2013, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

I've looked at this (it *seems* familiar), but there's not much to go
on. Can you tell us more about the rest of the plant and where it was
growing ie in what conditions.

Sorry, I'll try get a better picture next time I'm there. At the moment its all I have/know.

NT

Is it a bush, tree? a pic of the plant would help as well.
Old 19-09-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-09-17 22:45:58 +0100, said:

Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

NT

Have a look at Viburnum acerifolium to see if its rings any bells.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-09-2013, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

I've looked at this (it *seems* familiar), but there's not much to go
on. Can you tell us more about the rest of the plant and where it was
growing ie in what conditions.

Sorry, I'll try get a better picture next time I'm there. At the moment its all I have/know.
NT

Is it a bush, tree? a pic of the plant would help as well.

I missed the chance to rephotograph it, but hope to next week. I really dont recall anything much but the berries.

NT
Old 22-09-2013, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Hi

I dont know what this thing is....
http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg
It comes with half inch round black berries
If anyone has any pointers I'd be glad to hear em

I've looked at this (it *seems* familiar), but there's not much to go
on. Can you tell us more about the rest of the plant and where it was
growing ie in what conditions.

Sorry, I'll try get a better picture next time I'm there. At the moment its all I have/know.
NT

Is it a bush, tree? a pic of the plant would help as well.

I missed the chance to rephotograph it, but hope to next week. I really dont recall anything much but the berries.

Try harder or stop trolling.

You surely can say if it's a low bush, a tall tree, or a climber and
was it growing in a garden or wild place; you picked a leaf so you can
say if it's they are the size of a plate or a thimble. You remarked the
berries so do they grow separately or in bunches, roughly how many to
a bunch.

Janet.

Old 22-09-2013, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:23:00 AM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

8

http://i43.tinypic.com/14wwu2t.jpg

Sorry, I'll try get a better picture next time I'm there. At the moment its all I have/know.

I missed the chance to rephotograph it, but hope to next week. I really dont recall anything much but the berries.

Try harder or stop trolling.

Oh boy

You surely can say if it's a low bush, a tall tree, or a climber and
was it growing in a garden or wild place; you picked a leaf so you can
say if it's they are the size of a plate or a thimble. You remarked the
berries so do they grow separately or in bunches, roughly how many to
a bunch.
Janet.

It was packed tightly in with several other plants behind ironwork. Hence 'At the moment its all I have/know.' 'Sorry, I'll try get a better picture next time I'm there.'
Old 22-09-2013, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris Hogg
writes

I've looked at this (it *seems* familiar), but there's not much to go
on. Can you tell us more about the rest of the plant and where it was
growing ie in what conditions.

I initially thought black nightshade, but the ribs are not right.
Ditto deadly nightshade. I also thought black mulberry but that's not
it either (and the OP would surely have described the fruit
differently), nor is it blueberry. I even thought black grape, but
although the leaf is nearer to the one the OP posted than the others,
I still don't think so, and anyway, surely the OP would recognise a
grape. At that point I gave up and left it to the experts!

Couldn't be a mulberry could it?
How long ago had it the black berries?
--
Sue ]
Old 24-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Couldn't be a mulberry could it?
Sue ]
No, leaf is wrong, black mulberry leaves are much more toothed than that, and less lobate, and have a thicker stem. Also black mulberries mostly aren't black, most of them fall off before they get that dark, hence the term "mulberry coloured". Mine still has lots of berries on it - they ripen over a long period, I've been picking them since early August. I think you'd notice if you had a mulberry tree.