Old 21-09-2013, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pansies

We have not grown pansies before and would be grateful for advice (I
cannot think of anything else that is likely to flower between now and
early spring).

We are looking for something that will be suitable for container
growing in tall 35 cms x 35 cms planters, preferably not mixed colours
but that will reliably flower throughout the autumn, winter and early
spring.

They will be located in a relatively sheltered area with sun for half
the day and rarely subject to frosts.
--
rbel
Old 21-09-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel wrote:

We have not grown pansies before and would be grateful for advice (I
cannot think of anything else that is likely to flower between now and
early spring).

We are looking for something that will be suitable for container
growing in tall 35 cms x 35 cms planters, preferably not mixed colours
but that will reliably flower throughout the autumn, winter and early
spring.

They will be located in a relatively sheltered area with sun for half
the day and rarely subject to frosts.

You should be OK, but you can also plant pretty well any of the
early flowering bulbs. In such conditions, many of them will
flower during the winter.

For the future, consider Cyclamen coum, but that MUST be close to
dry during the winter and in free-draining material (a sandy soil
or John Innes compost is fine). It's a lovely ground cover for
places where few other plants will survive (e.g. dense rain shadow
all year).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-09-2013, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/09/2013 11:49, rbel wrote:

We have not grown pansies before and would be grateful for advice (I
cannot think of anything else that is likely to flower between now and
early spring).

We are looking for something that will be suitable for container
growing in tall 35 cms x 35 cms planters, preferably not mixed colours
but that will reliably flower throughout the autumn, winter and early
spring.

They will be located in a relatively sheltered area with sun for half
the day and rarely subject to frosts.
--
rbel

If it's not too wet, and not too cold, they'll light up your garden all
winter. If it's anything like last year, forget it :-)
Old 22-09-2013, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 19:41:39 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 21/09/2013 11:49, rbel wrote:

We have not grown pansies before and would be grateful for advice (I
cannot think of anything else that is likely to flower between now and
early spring).

We are looking for something that will be suitable for container
growing in tall 35 cms x 35 cms planters, preferably not mixed colours
but that will reliably flower throughout the autumn, winter and early
spring.

They will be located in a relatively sheltered area with sun for half
the day and rarely subject to frosts.
--
rbel

If it's not too wet, and not too cold, they'll light up your garden all
winter. If it's anything like last year, forget it :-)

Nick and Stuart, many thanks for your thoughts.

If the cyclamen needs dry conditions then it is probably not viable -
we get more than our fair share of wet but frosts, even last year,
were infrequent and only mild.
--
rbel
Old 22-09-2013, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 21/09/2013 11:49, rbel wrote:

[...]

I find the smaller violas are less likely to wilt in wet weather, and
are generally tougher than pansies

Old 22-09-2013, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel wrote:

If the cyclamen needs dry conditions then it is probably not viable -
we get more than our fair share of wet but frosts, even last year,
were infrequent and only mild.

Yes. I grow it in the rain shadow under the eaves, but they also
do well under conifers. Both seriously dry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Snapdragons, Pansies Darby Wiggins Gardening 5 13-05-2012 09:45 PM
Pansies & violas Franz Heymann United Kingdom 6 12-10-2003 11:02 AM
Winter flowering pansies. Ron United Kingdom 0 01-06-2003 11:08 AM
Pansies In Distress Fleemo Gardening 7 01-02-2003 03:19 AM
Are my pansies diseased? Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 0 17-12-2002 04:02 PM