GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blackberry ripening. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208377-blackberry-ripening.html)

Graham Harrison[_2_] 22-09-2013 06:46 PM

Blackberry ripening.

Maybe my Blackberry patch (wild) is odd but the Blackberries that ripen
first are always the ones right at the tip/farthest from the roots. It's
not that they're in sun because the ones hiding under leaves do it too.
Once I've picked that first one there is then a slight hiatus and then each
fruiting spur proceeds in much the same way, the one at the end of the tip
first then the others.

There is probably a logical explanation why but I can't work it out! Can
someone enlighten me please?

David Hill 22-09-2013 09:18 PM

Blackberry ripening.

On 22/09/2013 18:46, Graham Harrison wrote:
Maybe my Blackberry patch (wild) is odd but the Blackberries that ripen
first are always the ones right at the tip/farthest from the roots.
It's not that they're in sun because the ones hiding under leaves do it
too. Once I've picked that first one there is then a slight hiatus and
then each fruiting spur proceeds in much the same way, the one at the
end of the tip first then the others.

There is probably a logical explanation why but I can't work it out!
Can someone enlighten me please?

It's because they are the first flowers to open

Graham Harrison[_2_] 22-09-2013 11:35 PM

Blackberry ripening.

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 22/09/2013 18:46, Graham Harrison wrote:
Maybe my Blackberry patch (wild) is odd but the Blackberries that ripen
first are always the ones right at the tip/farthest from the roots.
It's not that they're in sun because the ones hiding under leaves do it
too. Once I've picked that first one there is then a slight hiatus and
then each fruiting spur proceeds in much the same way, the one at the
end of the tip first then the others.

There is probably a logical explanation why but I can't work it out!
Can someone enlighten me please?

It's because they are the first flowers to open

OK, so why are they the first flowers to open?